Depression Community
LDN ( Low Dose Naltrexone ) for Depression

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I started LDN last night. I took 1.5mg in a liquid ( syrup I mixed at home - recipe in my LDN Journal ). I didn't want to find out if it was going to affect my sleep ( initial side affects are often sleep disturbance and vivid dreams ), so I took Trazodone 100mg right at bedtime. I slept almost 7 hours. When I woke up I felt good. I often wake up with anxiety, but not today. I feel better than I have in weeks. I don't really feel depressed and only my over active mind started anxious feelings. I was able to take a deep breath and mentally move on ( something almost impossible when dis-regulated ) I feel lighter and able to focus better. Could just be a placebo effect, only more time will tell. But I am still optimistic. I am keeping a public journal on my profile page if anyone wants to follow. It's going to be too much to post every day on both forums I am in. Please feel free to check it out if u r interested.
Glad to hear your posting a public journal. This way we can see your ongoing results with LDN. Hope it works for you.
Avatar n tn
your message sounded just like me! anxious in morning and my mind taking control! what is a public journal and how can i keep up on your progress? tanya
On your member profile page you can add a journal to your information. There are privacy options for the entire journal and for individual entries. You can make it so that only you can see it, only friends you invite, or everyone on the forum. You can keep a journal in the trackers that are offered or create a separate one. If you want to see a members profile move your pointer over their name, You can click on it and it will take you right to their profile page. To get to your own profile page go to Home and the profile tab. It took me a while to figure things out and I am still not the sharpest tack when it comes to navigating this site! I can't remember how I did some things...I just muddle through.

I read somewhere that anxiety upon waking is due to hormone imbalance. I can't remember which, but I think it was progesterone. It can also happen when withdrawing from Opiates. I started having this chronically when I started to taper off a pain med I was taking. I'm still coping with it, but it's getting better. I can't say that LDN has helped with the anxiety, but it is definitely making a difference in mental clarity. Feel free to check out my journal. I'm not a writer...but I try to get the important facts down.  If anyone has a suggestion or question I hope they feel free to contact me. I usually check in at least once a day.
Hi, I was on naltrexon and zolof to stop drinking.  It worked good for me.  I still have depression tho.  I didn't have any side effects.  Hope this helps.
It can be confusing to differentiate between Naltrexone, Low Dose Naltrexone and Naloxone. I have been reading other posts in the archives and see this.

Naltrexone is FDA approved to treat opiate addiction. The dose is usually 50mg

Low Dose Naltrexone is used off label to treat MS, Crohn's Disease, CFS, Lupus, some cancers, and very, very experimentally, Depression. It is not FDA approved for any of these uses, but it is not illegal to use it this way. It is the same Naltrexone used for opiate addiction, just a much smaller dose ( aroung 4mg ) which produces different results. Same drug, different strength, different results, different therapeutic use.

Naloxone is a different drug altogether, although Naltrexone and Naloxone are both opiate antagonists. Naloxone is not used in low dose for anything that I am aware of. It's used as an emergency antidote for opiate overdose. It is also added to subutex (buprenorphine ) to make Suboxone.

When used in Low Dose Therapy, Naltrexone stimulates endorphin production. When used in high dose, it abruptly blocks endorphin production. Used in high dose, Naltrexone does NOT help with depression, it often seems to induce it. Low Dose Naltrexone Therapy is not proven to help with depression either.

I am using it experimentally based on a theory. I can't say yet what the outcome will be, but I do feel a positive difference.

For those who know more about LDN than I do, I realize this is a very simple explaination, but I'm trying not to confuse things any more with too many details.
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
11 mins ago
clean_in_ks commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
1 hr ago
opus88 commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time