Lack of concentration
Hi, I am new to the forum. Initially I was diagnosed with depression however, I have now been diagnosed recently with Bipolar disorder.

I am on effexor and epilem. Although i should be coming off the effexor soon.

I am currently working as a nurse and am experiencing alot of difficulty concentrating at work and at home, which has lead to errors at work and losing things. Which of late has become worse (I am normally not great anyway)

Is lack of concentration contributed to these drugs or is it something I have to work at?

Got a drug consult book? One thing I do when I get on something is to read on side-effects right away. I guess it calms my mind to know that I've read through that part of the leaflet.

I hope you get a nice answer from someone who's got experience of these drugs. I do guess that depression and any other ailment does contribute to an indent on concentration and alertness, but with Effexor.... Well, I've heard much about it since I came to MH! . ...

Florena
Your antidepressants (if working properly) should not be giving you any lack of concentration.

In fact they should be working to combat the lack of concentration that Depression and anxiety causes.

Before I was being treated with Medication for my severe depression, my level of concentration was that of a 4 year old child. I could not focus on anything and processing, as well as remembering key tasks was VERY difficult.

I would have to contribute your issues with concentration to the depression. That's just my experience.

My husband who was diagnsoed with Bipolar 3 motnsh ago has been taking an Antishychotoc and Moodstabilizer for 2 months.
He already had minor difficulty with concentration but now it's as Bad as it Gets.....he is all over the place , can't barely remember the simplest things , even when I tell him 3 times and write down on a piece of paper!!!!
   I did question his Psychiatrist but since my husband has not allowed him to talk to me I don't have an answer, but to be quite honest I don't htink it's the medication, it's just the State of Mind his is right now. He had a really bad Manic Episode 3 months ago + Psychotic thoughts (that still remains right now).....He still is very  'lost', not worknig , just sleeping and that is it!
   But please don't take my word for it, it's just my own experience and observation.
   I would ask you doctor--I'd be curious to know what his answer is!
    Take care of yourself--Good Luck!
     Vanessa
My lack of concentration and getting distracted is horrible since I started using Lamotrigine (Lamictil).  I've also been taking Effexor XR.  It's never caused any side affects for me, except maybe dry mouth.  I also think depression attributes to the lack of concentration.  Maybe the Epilem is part of the problem?  Hope you can work it out.