Depression Community
Lamictal (Anticonvulants) For Depression/Anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Has anyone tried Anticonvulants instead of SSRI's for Depression and Anxiety? I have dythymia and double depression with some anxiety (constant worry).
Hello, this is what I have found in my search for Depression and anxiety:
I hope it would help you instead of other meds.
Magnesium is a supplement that our body needs and apparently due to the nature of the foods that we eat, we are now all low in Magnesium. .

Rapid recovery from major depression using magnesium treatment. From PubMed

Major depression is a mood disorder characterized by a sense of inadequacy, despondency, decreased activity, pessimism, anhedonia and sadness where these symptoms severely disrupt and adversely affect the person's life, sometimes to such an extent that suicide is attempted or results. Antidepressant drugs are not always effective and some have been accused of causing an increased number of suicides particularly in young people. Magnesium deficiency is well known to produce neuropathologies. Only 16% of the magnesium found in whole wheat remains in refined flour, and magnesium has been removed from most drinking water supplies, setting a stage for human magnesium deficiency. Magnesium ions regulate calcium ion flow in neuronal calcium channels, helping to regulate neuronal nitric oxide production. In magnesium deficiency, neuronal requirements for magnesium may not be met, causing neuronal damage which could manifest as depression. Magnesium treatment is hypothesized to be effective in treating major depression resulting from intraneuronal magnesium deficits. These magnesium ion neuronal deficits may be induced by stress hormones, excessive dietary calcium as well as dietary deficiencies of magnesium.

Case histories are presented showing rapid recovery (less than 7 days) from major depression using 125-300 mg of magnesium (as glycinate and taurinate) with each meal and at bedtime.

Magnesium was found usually effective for treatment of depression in general use. Related and accompanying mental illnesses in these case histories including traumatic brain injury, headache, suicidal ideation, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, postpartum depression, cocaine, alcohol and tobacco abuse, hypersensitivity to calcium, short-term memory loss and IQ loss were also benefited. Dietary deficiencies of magnesium, coupled with excess calcium and stress may cause many cases of other related symptoms including agitation, anxiety, irritability, confusion, asthenia, sleeplessness, headache, delirium, hallucinations and hyperexcitability, with each of these having been previously documented. The possibility that magnesium deficiency is the cause of most major depression and related mental health problems including IQ loss and addiction is enormously important to public health and is recommended for immediate further study. Fortifying refined grain and drinking water with biologically available magnesium to pre-twentieth century levels is recommended.
-----
There is plenty of info on Magnesium and Depression .Please search Magnesium Deficiency on google and You tube.
I am sure it will help with your constant worrying. Makes you sleep soundly, rested and regulate heart beats, blood sugar , blood pressure and so many more.
Take care. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the information. I'm taking Celexa and Wellbutrin now and it seems to be starting to work for me. It just makes me sleepy all day and hard to wake up in the mornings on time for work. I want to try the Magnesium now, but I have to see if it's safe to take with the meds. Also, how will I notice if the Magnesium works if I'm already having success with the meds?
HI, what I would do is print out the PubMed report on Magnesium and bring it to your   Doctor Ask permission to try Magnesium instead. If this is what you want to do, after he reads this article, he should listen to you. Magnesium is the nutritional treatment of depression. Doctors don't do nutrition. If anything, they will refer you to a Nutritionist. It's really your decision, but you need his approval. As long as he knows, cause you can't just stop medications on your own.

Google side effects of Celexa and Wellbutrin.

Magnesium is a mineral we all need and thats what your body is lacking which is very well the reason for depression. Magnesium is a correction, its a cure. Its not just a treatment of symptoms like Celexa and Wellbutrin. Medications can create problems in your future and then you need more prescription on top of prescriptions. Prolonged use of these drugs could make you drug dependent and you can not just take yourself off of them. Eventually the body gets used to these drugs and they wont work anymore, then it just creates more issues. I am sure you could find those situations here in MedHelp.
So. if Magnesium is what you chose, it will restore your health. It will have other health benefits as well. The side effect of Mg is possibly loose stools, but this does not happen with Mg Glycinate. It would help you go regularly. People with kidney failure can not use Mg. I will search for Dr. Carolyn Dean's Ebook and post it here for you. It should help yto make a definite decision.
Here' s Dr Carolyn's Ebook on Magnesium
http://www.nutritionalmagnesium.org/listmessenger/public/Magnesium_ebook.pdf
I have never understood what double depression is supposed to mean. Does it mean that you think your depression is doubly worse than any one else?  If you look at the DSM you will see that double depression does not exist.  The different types of depression are exclusive which means that if you have one you can't have the other. It is something to think about.
Double Depression is when you typically have long term depression (which is not as bad as major depression), then on top of this long term depression you have periods of major depression. That's what they call double depression.
I understand what you are talking about now but the term double depression doesn't exist in the diagnoses used by psychiatry. Long term, mild depression of two years or more is called Dysthymia. The other category of depression is Major Depressive Disorder. So, using the DSM Diagnoses you have Dysthymia with periods of Major Depressive Disorder.
You can see the DSM entries for depression at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK64063/.   Sorry I don't know how to make an active link
"So, using the DSM Diagnoses you have Dysthymia with periods of Major Depressive Disorder." Yes, you are right. Double depression was just the term I used.
Bubulous To the world you may be one... Comment
32 mins ago
roxy_grrl commented on My first Surgery
1 hr ago
nursegirl6572 "You accepted less because ... Comment