Depression Community
Lexapro Withdrawal Symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Lexapro Withdrawal Symptoms

I have been on Lexapro 20 mg for over a year now. I cant remember how long its been. Anyways, I have weened off the medicine. I went to 10 mg, then 5 mg. I am still having horrible withdrawal symptoms. My doctor said its not normal that i am still feeling withdrawal symptoms after 2 weeks. I have been weening off it for about 3 weeks to a month. I decided after taking 5mg for about 1.5 weeks that I am going to stop taking it all together. Of course the symptoms are still there. I am very dizzy. Turning my eyes just a slight hurts like everyone describes, "an electrical shock". It is constant. I am always very hot and have nausea. Why do I still have withdrawal symptoms? I REALLY want to get off this and have no more withdrawal symptoms!!
Lexapro can be one of the more difficult SSRI meds when it comes to withdrawl (withdrawal).

Not sure why your doc said that you shouldn't be having withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms after only two weeks off Lex.

Even with a Very slow taper off method, you can expect to have withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms for at least 6 to 8 weeks after complete discontinuation. Sometimes even longer depending on the person.

Yes, they can be nasty. Wish I could say there was some home remidy to help with the withdrawl (withdrawal), but haven't found one yet.

Xanax helps me with some of the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. I use it when I am switching meds to help with the tansition. You may find just .025Mgs in the afternoon to be helpful with the naseia.

Given that you were prescribed Lexapro, I will assume that you must suffer from Cronic (chronic) Depression and anxiety disorder. Do keep in mind that after complete discontinuation of your antidepressant treatment that there is a good chance that you might relaps.

Unfortunatly Cronic (chronic) Depressive dissorder doesn't usually go away or get "cured."

This is why I always tell people; "don't ever consider taking these AD meds unless you simply can not function without them."

There is a price to pay for taking AD meds. This is why they should only be utilized when absolutly nessasary.

Rgeards
i have been on lexapro for abou a month. i decided to taper off because i had weird chest pains.. felt like i was going to stop breathing. I started to taper of the 10mg down to 5 mg for a week and then 2.5 for 2 days. im having severe head pressure... neck muscle pain like it hurts for me to talk.. pain in my mid back.. muscle and bone pain.. i feel so horrible are these withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms?
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Heather8448 commented on Dear MH Friends..Upda...
KTowne Need some quick input ladie... Comment