Depression Community
Loneliness "HELP"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Loneliness "HELP"

I live alone and have depression/anxiety. How can I live with this terrible feeling and panic? I have a phobia of being alone.
Do you have any pets?  Having a dog or cat has been proven very beneficial to people who are afraid to live alone.  It appears to be comforting in just having another living thing in the house. I think a dog is best as they require more of your time and attention and interact more with you. When I come home to an empty house my dogs are there to greet me and the fun begins. They do keep you laughing and busy, and less time to even feel alone because you're really not. They always want to play, and you just feel safer knowing your dog is by your side. If you haven't tried therapy for this, I'm sure it would also help.  Staying busy is helpful, music, TV or a hobby.  The less time you have to dwell on this the better. I hope this helps.  Take care....
Pets are great for people who live alone.  There is actually something that is coming to be known as "pet therapy."  Pat I think it is great you are reaching out, it is really a terrible feeling to be alone.  But know that when you are alone, your really not alone!  There are so many people in the world that have this problem.  Sometimes just to know that others feel that way makes it easier to go through.  There are some days where it must feel like there is little you can do but stay in because of your anxiety at fear, and you have to realize that is OKAY!  But it is equally important that if you feel like you can get up and out for a little is extremely good for you.  Leaving where you live and returning will reinstate feelings that the world is ok and you are safe.  Start by getting out for even 10 minutes.  You will feel a sense of accomplishment.  It's like lifting weights at the gym.  You don't start by lifting 500lbs to get strong, you have to start small!  I wish you all the best!
Brotherhood,
Lee
Hello Pat, I also live alone and suffer from depression and anxiety.  I am lonely too, but I do have a small rescue dog called Toby.  He is noit my first dog.  I originally got a dog when I lost my job because o0f the depression.  I thought it would make me go out if I had a dog, as he would have to be walked.  Thing is, I am very ill at the moment, so he only gets short walks, and I dread someone will talk to me and I will start crying.

Whenthe lonliness overwhelms me, I take the dog out and get some fresh air, and feel I am helping him and me.  At night he sleeps on my bed.  During the day he curls up with me on the sofa.  He senses my mood, and is a wonderful companion.

Pat, I would like to befriend you, as I know how you are feeling.  I hold out my hand to you, and hope we can support each other.  This site has made me feel much less isolated, and daily read the posts.  I don't know the answer to lonliness, it is very hard.  I do have family quite near, and they are supportive, but have busy lives of there own.

When I joined this site I cried out for help too, and people have contacted me, and it does give me strength.

Take care my dear Pat.  I am here for you.
Yes I feel the same, I cannot stand being alone on the weekends, but really dont feel better when I am with people either!   I got a cat but it kept me up all night, so maybe ill try again with one that is a little calmer.  Take care Pat, you are not alone.
Angie
KTowne commented on renae176's status
14 mins ago
HollowFeelings joined this community
Welcome them!
Lev1Fagan commented on Derealization and Dep...