Depression Community
Long term side effects from wellbutrin or zyban

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Has anyone had long term side effects from Wellbutrin or Zyban? I have had long term neurological problems that seemed to be triggered by a reaction to wellbutrin. I was wondering if others have experienced any problems from either of these drugs. Please contact me and let me know. I am suffering from muscle wasting, muscle twitching, severe memory problems and I am 32 years old. No doctor nor specialist can figure out what is causing my decline in health. I had severe hand pain and swelling from wellbutrin as well as chronic head pressure and then I started having the above problems. Please let me know if anyone has had this type of problem or any other health problems they feel may be from these drugs, thanks, Mya
First, you have to find out if bupropion is responsible for your signs and symptoms. The drug is molecularly somewhat similar to the amphetamines ...

As for long-term studies, there are none, because BigPharma mysteriously can push poorly-tested drugs onto the market with astonishing alacrity. Cymbalta, Eli-Lilly's overdue reply to the competition's Effexor (both SSNRI's) is up for of a class-action lawsuit due to suspicious and often surprisingly deleterious effects on the liver. The adverts in medical journals never mention the woman who dropped out and killed herself.

We need pharmaceuticals -- our lifespans have increased in a large part because of them, but when they started pulling this $%#&, they went too far.

Remember Thalidomide?
I'm curious to know about this too. I noticed I get some mild twitch from it which are random and minor but concern me. I think it may be part to do with the GI upset I've been having, but I'm not sure.  I guess it's time to look for something else, but what?
I'd like to know if the continuous GERD and stomache cramping/IBS may be part caused by the Welbutrin. That seems to have been getting worse.
Unfortunately that is the problem there is no way to prove is bupropian is responsible and that is why I'm trying to find others that may have similiar problems. I never had any physical problems or pains and wellbutrin gave me severe  pain in my hands, swelling at 300mg but I was fine at 150mg. After a few times trying 300mg and having allergic reaction I stayed at 150mg for two years, it worked really well for my anxiety/low energy. From what I have read an allergic reaction to a drug is an autoimmune reaction, sometimes that is all it takes to begin an autoimmune po rocess, although many people take it and our fine. I read fda reports and three people developed ms when the first started wellbutrin, now was it Wellbutrin triggering an immune reation or these people may very well have developed it anyways, there is no way to prove it either way. I am just trying to find an answer because many doctors and specialists can't give me an answer. I want to know why a perfectly healthy woman is now struggling everyday. Wellbutrin can be resposible for intestinal problems look into the side effects. Before I completely bash this drug I must say it was the only drug that worked for my anxiety/low energy but I fell maybe the two years I was on it and since I had signs of b
.......signs of being allergic to it, I wonder if my immune system was stimulated and has now bone bisurk,I may never know or get an answer, but I just want to know why my once fabulous world has been rocked and turned upside down as my physical health deteriorates with no answers.
Thanks for your post. I've been wondering why I've seemed to have been suffering auto-immune like stuff since lately.  I was looking for an allergic reaction like the hives and itching...the common type allergies. I was puzzled why it seems my wrists have gotten more painful, and digestive upsets, etc...

I see my psycho today and I will tell her. Maybe this sick feeling I've been having these last few weeks could be an allergic reaction to the med I'm developing.
Very possible it is side effects from this drug. I know when I went to my DR he said the muscle pain would not be from Wellbutrin only because he wasn't aware this was a side effect, listen to what your body is telling you, if you have felt like **** since you have started the drug, it's most likely the drug, maybe you can try something else, how long have you been on the wellbutrin?
When I first took it, it seemed a bit less effective than remron, but better than nothing.  But recently after being perscribed an NSAID, which I took for all of 2 1/2 days before getting an adverse reaction...  Then things went downhill from there. I guess they were before, but it was signifigatnly worse... Last couple weeks lost my appitite, had bad cramps, IBS like reaction, and I notice my typing and coordiantion worse...my wrists sore too... Not all of it is probably the Welbutrin. Anyways I'm changing to Celexia which I'm not sure I will like any better... I get depression and anxiety just reading off the side effects!!!

Anyways two days without taking welbutrin or anythy anitdepressent, today I noticed my cramps gone and I could actually eat through a full meal.  Thing is though I don't feel full...  But at least I could eat!  Moodwise............different story.....I feel like ****...

So I'm keeping an eye on it.  If I continue to be free of cramps and IBS like symptoms, then it probably was the wellbutrin afterall.
Hi..... I  have taken wellbutin on and off for about 10years.  At one point it did save my life.  I have not experienced any of the side effects to the extreme you mentioned.  I did have a substainal weight loss when first starting on this med. ( 60lbs) But I did not  have any pain associated with the loss and I did need to lose the weight.  I have experienced tremors, and accerated thinking intermittently... in which I reduced the dose. ( I was taking 450mg daily under care of Psychriatist  at one point.)  I am too questioning wellbutin...... with memory loss.. with me it seems to be short term memory..
My problem is that I still have alot of joint and muscle pain, it started about 4 weeks after starting Zyban. I stopped taking Zyban and still have a lot of problems 6 weeks after stopping. Am looking for how to get rid of the pain, it has been a problem with my every day life, it is worse in the mornings and a night. Been taking 3 to 4 400mg asprin 2 to 3 times a day so I can some what keep going. Am just looking for any help to get back to pain free life. Any suggestions would be appreciated
My daughter took Wellbutrin at about 12 years old. She took it for about two years and stopped. Started it again when she was about 25. Since starting this medication she has had Migrane (migraine) headaches. Been diagnosed with a stomach emptying disease (gastric Pyresis) a blood pressure disorder called POTS disease. (In ability to maintain blood pressure) Anxiety, Muscle atrophy and now some rare form of MS!! Now the docs are suggesting an autoimmune disorder from a mutant gene. She was perfectly healthy until she began taking this medication!! We are headed to the mayo clinic in February and I am taking this information with me!
She is 27 now..
Hi. Any new news on the symptoms?  I have some strange symptoms that are just now showing up after taking welbutrin for 16 years.  Including tremors.  
Heather8448 commented on She needed a hero, so...
wendylee17 is ... Comment
TinaR10 commented on Moma_Cher's status