Misery of Effexor XR Withdrawal
I was on Effexor XR for 4 Years at 150 M/G.  It was used to treat anxiety associated from mostly job related and family stress.  It took nearly 3 months for my body to adjust and it was very difficult time.  Earlier this year while on my regular daily dose of 150 I started to notice a feeling feeling lightheadedness with some loss on concentration and memory.  This was the same feeling I would get if I missed 2 consecuative days while on the 150per day.

I decided to get off the med because it appeared to me that my brain wanted more med to to the same job,  or addiction.  In an indirect way,  my brain was going thru withdrawal earlier in the year when I was on the 150s but not giving in to increasing the dose and thus giving me brain fog.

I tapered from 150 to 75 in the month of May and from 75 to 37.5 in June so I think I was careful to take my time.

As of today I am 26 days w/o EFF XR and still feel the brain fog, muscle pain, irritability.  Now based on low Hemogloban my doctor said I may have mild anemia which may help explain a few things.  I have no history of anemia.

I almost have to believe that effexor,  or lack of effexor may play a direct role  in altering other body chemicals such as blood, hormones and even glands.

Anyway, I don't think many medical professionals truly understand how this medicine can impact a person's health on the whole.

My question is how long did your symptoms last once you stopped the med after a slow tapering.  Could there be a conection between my difficulty getting normal now and the horrible time I had going on the med?
The withdrawal symptoms period is relative to how long you have been on the drug, tapering method and your own brain chemistry. There is no definitive answer to that question.

Last time I used a SNRI like Effexor (Cymbalta) I stopped it cold turkey and I had brain zaps for a month and a bit more.

You should expect relief soon as the withdrawal is not permanent. After 3 months off the drugs you should consider you symptoms being a result of not being in good psychological shape.

M4
To clarify your point, 3 months from the point of your last dose, or 3 months from the point you start the tapering plus the period you take nothing?

Painter397
3 months without taking the drug and I can be more conservative and say 6 months. But I really think you will experience a relief soon.

M4