Depression Community
Morning Depression

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

Morning Depression

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Savas, the CL of the Cat Forum (Rumours of my lack of sanity are GREATLY exageratted!!).  ;->

My question for y'all is this;

Has anyone heard of a form of morning depression? I'm not talking about "not being a morning person", I'm talking about waking up in a state of bleak or crushing despair, only to have it go away after a half hour or so.
I haven't heard of anyone only suffering from depression in the morning, but I can see how it would be possible.

I think it's safe to say that for most of us, "depression sufferers," that the morning is the worst part of the day for us. In my case I ALWAYS wake up exausted and feeling like garbage. It takes me a full three hours just to shake off the morning. No matter how much or how good my sleep was the night before, I always wake in a fog of dread and exaustion.
Well, I'm usually a high energy, somewhat manic person. I wonder if it's connected to some sort of sleep disorder.  

When it does happen, it only lasts about a half hour at most. Heck, all I need to do is get the will together to boot the computer up and after five minutes of watching "Funny Cat Slideshows" it usually passes.

I wouldn't really give it too much thought but it drives my wife absolutely insane.

Obviously she feels I'm impossible to be around when it happens, and we've both come to the conclusion it's best not to even speak to me at those times.
Sorry to hear of your delema.  Depression can be very, very debilitating.  

I have suffered from depression for most of my adult life.  Mornings are the most painful,  physically and emotionally.  Not every morning, but a great majority of my days.

Sometimes, it is beyond words. If I were to try to describe it, I would use one word...  Hell.

I hope you find some relief.
Namaste,

I've never heard of a short term depression the only occurs in the morning after awakening, although I guess it could be possible, but if it goes away after 30 minutes or so, I don't think it's anything you need to be overly concerned with. Just enjoy the rest of the day.

Michael
It's probably connected to a sleep disorder. From what my wife tells me (and i can sometimes recall) i get terrible nightmares. Which is probably why I only sleep around four hours a night.
Waking up feeling like there's no point to anything...ugh.

Ah well. At least it's only in the mornings. Being depressed all day.. I don't envy any of you that.

I will now nom some cakes in support of all of you having a cheerier day. :)

Like you said, it may be related to some sort of sleep dissorder that your having. Maybe your not getting enough deep sleep during the night.

You may want to consult a sleep dissorder specialist about the problem.

It may be something simple that can be corrected.
Health Insurance Companies Seek Big...
58 mins ago by gymdandee
Keep Your Liver Healthy
3 hrs ago by gymdandee
KTowne commented on Belle313's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time