Depression Community
Natural Help

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

Natural Help

Are there any natural ways besides taking St.John's wort and eating Salmon, that would help with depression? I do exercise every day but the endorphines last only through mid day, I get very depressed in the afternoons (when I overeat) and on the weekends (have no energy, feel guilty about not being able to do things that I used to) so I usually seek comfort in chocolate candy or other stuff.
I went to see a doctor but it was very unproductive, almost as he didn't believe me.
What's the difference between a psychiatrist and psychotherapist? Thank you.
A psychiatrist can prescribe medication, a psychotherapist cannot. A psychotherapist will give you talk therapy. Most use cognitive behavior therapy, which is good.
B12 vitamins are supposed to help moods. I think, though, that in your case part of the reason for the depression is that you tend to beat yourself up a lot. Am I right? I think we all have times we overeat, get lazy and sit around the house on the weekend and then feel guilty! We are all human, after all. Stop being so hard on yourself. If you know you don't like sitting around on the weekends, then find things to do. Get out of the house. Do some yard work, or help a neighbor, visit a friend, volunteer somewhere. Stay busy, but do things that you enjoy. And be more kind to yourself. I bet you're kinder to others than you are yourself! Give yourself a break. Hope I made you feel a little better!
I have been depressed for almost two years. I also had a problem with eating, especially CHOCOLATE!!! It was after my dad passed away and I really didn't talk things out and let out all of the sadness. Over time, it kept building up. I became so depressed, I would sleep many hours past what was normal and I got to where I couldn't even remember the last day I was happy or didn't cry. Then it began to effect my relationship with my fiance' and I stopped doing my art. I became very angry with the world. I stopped giving people the chance to even get to know me. I would find something bad in everyone and everything and nothing made me truly happy or satisfied anymore. Recently, I started to realise that If I didn't change, I would lose my best friend. I decided to look up things on depression. One of the things that really popped out was the fact that I had not been outside in a long time. I decided to start going for walks where I could get lots of sunshine and explore nature. It gave me time to reunite with myself, be alone and take in the beauty around me. So many people have lost that connection with nature and maybe that's why depression is becoming so much more common. Sometimes, you just have to stop and smell the roses. If you don't live near the countryside, you could still go to the park or even go on a vacation. It is better to do this alone. It will give you time to relax. The sun actually increases the seratonin levels in your brain. Try to at least get out and walk alone at least 20 minutes a day. I hope that it can help you as much as it is helping me. I really didn't think it would make this much of a difference as it has.
Belle313 commented on renae176's status
Belle313 commented on Baby Noah!!
drifter0213 commented on Feels like life is ov...
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time