Depression Community
Niacin for depression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Niacin for depression

Hello, I have been taking 20 mgs of fluoxetine now since the summer. I was watching a documentary and heard about a case where a woman was put on niacin supplements for depression. She was taking very large dosages, but it completely pulled her out of her depression. So far fluoxetine has helped me, but I think in time I will need a larger dosage. I would really rather not do that, so my question is: is it safe to take niacin supplements of 100 mg daily plus an extra multivitamin with 20mg. I don't want to end up taking too many vitamins. I also take calcium with vitamin D in it. The niacin supplements I bought say they are "flush" free. Also what is the best time to take them? I've read that they can make you tired. Thanks for any help.
Most flush-free niacin isn't very strong, especially niacinamide, which probably does nothing.  So if you're going to try large doses, you might have to endure the flush.  You also should do this in conjunction with your physician or a naturopath, as too much niacin can be dangerous.  It can also affect your levels of other B vitamins.  I've heard of it being used for anxiety, and it does calm the heart.  It energizes those who need it, so I don't know about it making you tired.  But I'd get some more expert info on it before trying it for an extended period of time.  
Thanks for your help, I'm going to speak to my doctor about this next time I visit.
There is some truth to this, but a better idea would be to take Deplin.

Niacin is basicaly just Folic Acid. Problem with Folic Acid is that it must first be broken down in the body to be effective.

Deplin vs. Folic Acid
Folic acid is a man-made product that needs to broken down by the body through a lengthy 4-step process. Folate that comes from your diet (e.g green vegetables) must undergo a 3-step transformation.

Deplin is already in a state for immidiate absorbsion and is designed for people taking antidepressants that have major Depression or Bi-polar dissorder.

Deplin is a food grade pill, but regardless is still by prescription only. Side effects are much less than taking mega doses of Niacin and effect is much better.

I think anyone that needs a bit more punch out of their antidepressant should take Deplin. The science is there and it really does work.

That's interesting, I've never heard about Deplin before. I'm definitely going to look into it, thanks.
I'm not sure I'd agree with the folic acid info.  Folic acid and niacin do quite different things in the body, though both are essential for proper nervous system functioning.  As for folic acid supplementation, there's probably more research on this than virtually any other vitamin, as it's essential to prevent certain problems in the fetus during pregnancy.  Certainly some absorb it better than others, but if you google it I'm sure you'll find a ton of studies.  The fact niacin gives you a flush proves it is absorbed -- and it does give you quite a flush -- and the fact folic acid doesn't shows they are quite different in action.  Niacin is mostly for cholesterol and the heart and blood pressure, while folic acid is essential to proper nervous system functioning, and is in a balance with B6 and B12, which are especially important for mood regulation, to control homocysteine which in overabundance causes inflammation in the blood vessels.  B6, of course, is an essential cofactor for the production of serotonin and GABA, so one of the things all of us with mood problems can do is take what's called a stress B, formulated with vitamin C to protect the body from what stress does to us.  Anyhoo, my two cents.
As I said in my first reply
http://www.deplin.com/
Niacin and Folic Acid are two very different vitamins. Its a Chemistry and Biology fact..
KTowne commented on hansen20's status
11 mins ago
TinaR10 Grace is head down really l... Comment
Catlover2503 Not too bad today, got a jo... Comment