PMDD and hysterectomy
I am 44 yrs old and I have been suffering from PMDD for 4 yrs.  I have been extremely ill for the past 3 yrs and extremely depressed during that time of month.  Just a few days ago, I ended up in my counselors office telling her I was going to commit suicide.   I have been dealing with hypothyroid since birth, and between my thyroid levels being low and the PMDD, I want this to all end.  I have an appt to see my gynecologist on Thurs and want to know if you think I should ask for a hysterectomy.  I had an ovary removed 27 yrs ago and want it all out, what do you suggest?
Thank you for your help
Sharon
PMDD is a devastating syndrome to have. At this point, you may want to look at getting a SSRI drug on board -  most gyno's won't do a hysto based on this. It's caused by all of your hormones being unbalanced. I went off SSRI's in Aug, and I had my first PMDD in years. .In the last 3 months it's gotten worse with each cycle. , I was actively contemplating suicide and I thought I would completely go over the edge.  I was finally put on Wellbutrin this month because I went into my psychiatrist's office suicidal again, because of the PMDD  and under controlled depression.

As you know a hysto is a really dramatic alternative, you would still have to take some sort of HRT, and they are showing it's causing higher risks of heart attacks and pulmonary issues in women. I would, and this is solely my opinion, really weigh out the options. From what I have read, a hysto does nothing to cure the PMDD.  Here's a good link :

http://www.bcwomens.ca/Services/HealthServices/ReproductiveMentalHealth/MentalHealth/PMSPMDD.htm