Depression Community
Primrose Oil for Depression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Primrose Oil for Depression

I'd just like to share my experiences here and maybe I can help a person or 2.    

I've tried prescription anti-depressants years ago...and they barely did anything.  If anything it was worse..because #1 they'd take about a week to start working.. and during that week, I personally felt worse / more ragey than before...but eventually it helped some.  #2 , I had enormous food cravings.  #3 very weird, electric like feeling in my head when trying to withdraw off the stuff.    That alone was enough for me to never try the stuff again.

But time and time again, whenever I ever have occasional bouts of depression...and even severe depression. Primrose Oil has worked like a godsend.   I even told my sister to try it , and she couldn't believe it either.

Whenever i'm very irritable , angry , depressed , anxious.. I take a 1000 MG's of Primrose Oil a day...and ALL OF THAT goes away.  I feel soooo calm and relaxed everyday after.  It only takes a day or 2 to start working. and by the 3rd day, you'll definately notice it.

Amazing natural drug this is.  I'm 35 now and first tried it when I was like 22.  

I dont know WHY this drug doesn't get more national attention ? I've tried St. John Wort numerous times... everybody says thats suppose to be the #1 natural / herbal pill for depression.  But its NEVER worked for me.

Evening Primrose Oil works in an amazing fashion for me. EVERY single time.    I had a really bad bout last week... starting taking Primrose Oil, and I completely changed around for the better almost instantly

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this.  Even 500 MG's a day is nice too.  But 1000 MG's a day, you'll definately notice it.

I'm a guy too.... so I remember reading online that this is mostly for women...to help with their PMS symptoms or whatever.  But it is for soo much more.  

The anti-depressing effects are amazing and soo smooth.  No side effects at all.

thank god for primrose oil

I love Primrose Oil.
I've been taking it for a long time, but I take it for my skin, hair and nails! LOL!

I tell ya, my skin, hair & nails have never looked better! :-)

Granted ,I take a very low dosage. It's not real cheap, so that's why I don't take more of it.

I also take Grapeseed Oil because I'd heard it's good for your heart. I love that stuff too.
If you mean grapefruit seed oil, that shouldn't be taken regularly, as it's an antibacterial and antifungal that should only be taken as necessary to prevent developing resistant bacteria and such.  I think what you're thinking of is grapeseed extract, not oil, or pills.  The skin and seeds of grapes contain very potent antioxidants and are the parts of red wine that makes it heart healthy.  As for primrose oil being calming, that could indicate excess testosterone or a lack of essential fatty acids.  The reason it's usually used by women is because it affects hormonal balance in a way that advantages women, but it also contains an essential fatty acid called GLA, and Omega 9 fatty acid.  There's even more of this in borage oil and black currant seed oil, but they don't have the hormonal properties of primrose oil.  But as I always say, whatever works!  And remember, it's not a drug, it's a food.
Paxiled, I've tried Omega fatty acids in the past..  The fish oils (Omega 3's) , the plant oils (Omega 6's)   Omega 9's are a different class I believe..and Primrose goes in the Omega 6 category.

But yeah, just taking those oils alone never did anything for me.

Its something with the Primrose oil that does something special.  I think more research should be done into it.

So are you saying (or thinking) that primrose could lowers testosterone ?   I've been depressed with low testosterone levels at the same time.   Increasing my testosterone doesn't help either.  Or makes me more angry / panicky / nervous.  

Maybe Primrose does something with another male hormone ?   But it really is tremendously relaxing...even for guys.   Maybe i'm the only guy thats ever tried it...lol..  if so, more need to experience this benefit.  

1000 MG a day, and you feel great..relaxed, can concentrate on things with ease...no nervousness , no anger , no anxiety...nothing.    

And like I said, i've tried this on and off for 10 years now. And EVERY TIME it works.  

Miracle drug I would call it.
Txs for the correction, Paxiled.

You're right, the pills I take are called "GRAPE SEED EXTRACT" , 50 mg.

I was told that G.S.Extract is good as an antioxidant, as you said.

Anyhow, I alternate the Grape-seed extract pill every other day with my Omega3 pill (as a dietary supplement).

I used to just take my OMEGA3, but then I started experimenting to see if I alternated my Omega3 pill with the Grape-seed extract pill every other day, how I'd feel.
I feel great either way, so I suppose both are good for me (??).

Anyhow, as a woman, that Primrose Oil is fabulous for skin, hair and nails, though. I've really noticed a difference.

I'd really like to hear from others...if they just try it for 3 days, and see how much of a difference it makes in their depression / mood.

I'm baffled as to why this hasn't made more news as being a successful treatment for depression.  Maybe not enough people have tried the 1000 MG a day route ?  (which is a completely safe amount)

I take 500 mg's in the morning and 500mg's at night.

my sister was almost just as baffled as me when she was on her 3rd or 4th day.  
hi john,

what brand do you take?  I would like to try this?  I'm on prozac and it's not helping me.

I have thyroid issues, but my body is shaking or tremors for about 3 months all the time.

My body was shaking before the prozac, after getting little sick, then a bot of tiredness hit me strong for about 3-4 weeks, then started shaking.

Mri --turned out ok
blood test- showed white blood count little low and lymp (somethings ) was little high

I had meds, love to take natural things.  would love your help!!!!!!!

my mind is feeling crazy lately,

PS. I have been taking Gaba .....doesn't help
                                        Valerian Root..............no help  (gives me headaches)
                                         Passion flower extracet with GoluKola, and sage leaf extract... no
                                                                                                                      help
mamia , I've tried Valerian Root & so many other herbal remedies too...and barely noticed anything.

I've tried A LOT and only Primrose Oil has really worked for me.  A couple times I thought maybe St. Johns Wort was working a little for me.  But I couldn't quite tell. So I quit it.. If anything, it was more of a zombie effect.  

Where Primrose was more of a relaxing , eye opening effect.  Like I mentioned above = no more anxiety, anger, depression , frustration or anything.  Plus, I've also noticed the last couple days (since i've been on it again)  I can concentrate so much more on my computer work with ease.

I dont really think it matters what type of brand you use.  (but i'm sure certain companies will tell you that their brand is more pure than others....or whatever...seems like every company does this these days)    But the one i'm using is from VitaminShoppe .  (same brand name as well)

I currently have the 500MG softgel pills.. But they come in higher doses I believe.  1 in the morning & 1 at night has a nice smooth effect for me.

Would love to hear other stories here if it helped or not.. i'm no doctor and i'm sure certain meds could interfere if your currently on prescription stuff.

It really is amazing for me though... All of last week.. Feb. 7th to Feb 13th.. I was a nervous , anxious , depressed wreck.  None of my normal 'fixes' were working. (meditating , hot bath , listening to music I love , watching tv shows I like , etc )  Normally that type of stuff would be my fix...but it had almost no effect)

So I turned to my almighty Primrose Oil once again, and this whole entire week Feb 14th to 20th.. I've been in complete peace & perfect mindset..like a whole other person..  I cant even get frustrated if I wanted to.    and like I said, its not just this one week...  If I take it the entire month, i'll feel like this the entire month.     I've tested this on and off for almost 10 years now.   The reason I dont take it every single day...365 days a year....i guess is because i'm like everyone else.. who wants to take pills everyday for the rest of their life ?  not me.. but when I need the fix, its right there.

If everybody experienced the same effects, like it has always had on me... these prescription drug companies would probably go out of business.

According to UCBerkley Wellness Report, "Evening primrose oil and similar products are unproven for any medical or health purpose. Manufacturers of evening primrose oil make troubling, unfounded, and illegal claims".  The report also states "evening primrose oil may cause headaches and rashes."

The report goes on to say it is harmless so just based on what you stated, I may give it a try anyway.  Have you done any research to substantiate your claims?
Yuk, of course their going to say crap like that.  Anything to cover up for the pharmaceuticals.

I haven't done any type of technical research.  I'm just an ordinary guy, but I do work on computer and anytime something interesting grabs my attention, I look into it.

I swear when I say this, that i've tried at least a hundred different vitamins / herbal supplements / natural remedies throughout my life.   And Primrose Oil has fascinated me the most , out of ALL OF THEM.  

Even today I woke up refreshed at 6am...which I almost could never do in the past.  (been on it for 7 straight days now)  The benefits seem to get better every day.

I almost feel like its a secret, or something that hasn't been exposed or talked about much...EVEN  after all this time.  Which is partially why I decided to make this post.  To get opinions from others , to hear if it works for them or not.   If it didn't work for me EVERY SINGLE TIME, whenever I needed...for just over 10 years, I wouldn't be wasting my time even making this thread.   But if it could help others, the way it helps me...then the word should be spread.

I've got a skin condition as well.. and this is what caused me to take it the very first time.  (10 years ago)   I realized after being on it awhile, how calm, relaxing , and perfect mindset I was in.    Even back then I remember Google pointed to websites that talked about Primrose oil and its anti-depressing effects.  That was the first time I heard of it.  And ALL this time has gone by and still people dont know about this ?  How could this be ?

It reminds me of modern day FoxNews and how they wont say anything good about the 'benefits' of this Health Care Bill.  (their terrified of it passing...because the health companies are paying them off to say as many bad things as possible about it)

John
Just did a Google search on 'primrose oil depression' now to see the latest articles...

And about 7 - 8 links down -

"The origins of the plant were in North America, from where it came to the UK by accident when cargo ships bringing cotton over, dumped the soil brought back as ballast, and seeds began to grow.  The plant was officially introduced in 1614 into Europe, and rapidly became known as ‘Kings Cure All’ because of its useful medicinal properties."

Maybe now in 2010 people will finally realize its healing benefits ? lol.

If this oil can help just one other person, the way its helped me and my sister.. i'll feel like i've done my job.  

Its not just for women with PMS...trust me.  (unless I dont know something about my body )

Hello john,
I am giving this a try. I went to my health food shop yesterday.  The lady told me that worked there that she sold alot of it and it worked for many people.  She said that she saw more people try other products and change from one to another then when they found the primrose oil that they stayed with it.

It will be a true blessing if this works and i will let you know , today will be day 2

Day one still shaking alot, but didn't expect to do alot yet.

Do you think that 1,300 once a day will be ok.  I know your not doc. but you have tried it different ways.  

I think it would be great if we could all track our progress with each other.
In alot of ways we are all in the same boat, needing help

I am so glad it is working for you  and thank you for sharing this with others.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  I'm so glad I came across your post.  I've had Evening Primrose Oil 500mgs in my cabinet for some time, but was only taking it here and there for PMS which has suddenly hit me with peri-menopause.  After reading this thread, I went and popped one and will take another tonight and will begin taking it daily in the hopes it does for me what it's done for you and others.  I could really use some calm and relaxation...in a natural way :)
yeah, 1300MG's a day is fine too.   I used to take those bigger capsules as well.   But if you take too much, it kinda puts you in la la land..   lol.

Give it 2 to 3 days to start working... I never really noticed a big difference on the 1st day either for some reason.

Glad you guys are giving it a shot.. and i'm also interested in the results.   We could do our own personal research.  
I will try this... this is my last natural medication before I go back to Celexa.

I will update everyone on how I feel, also.
well, bought some today.  My first one tonight - 1,000 mgs.  In the evenings I take calcium and fish oil.  I will now add the primrose.  What time of day is everyone taking this?  does it matter?  With or without food?

BTW, got my husband trying it as well.  My hubby has psoriasis and I read on the National Psoriasis Foundation website that oil of primrose may be good for psoriasis as well.  http://www.psoriasis.org/netcommunity/sublearn03_comp_natural.

I recently posted that I just came off of lexapro and suffering the withdraw symptoms of brain zaps and anger issues.  I'm hoping this helps me with this.
Thanks for the correction.  It is an omega 6 oil.  I've had that one wrong for a long time!
Yuk, I have psoriasis too !  And it did help in the past for that as well.  But usually took 3 weeks or longer to start seeing results. (skin takes awhile to rebuild)

My cholesterol even lowered while on it.

If your only taking it at night, right before sleep..you might miss most of the healing / relaxing benefits....since you'll be sleeping through it.. although you'll probably sleep good.  :-)

A lot of people think skin diseases & cholesterol are because of our mental mindset as well. ( stress)  The calming effect primrose has on the mind could also be part of the reason of how / why it helps our skin / cholesterol.
Hi, am am on my 4th day.   yesterday I noticed more of more brain stablization, I didn't  feel as down, and felt the best I've felt in a good while, I guess more "normal" I hate to say that because what is normal , but I must say I good feeling.  Worked 13 hours yesterday, and not as much brain fog.

Today, woke up with bad headach at 1:30 am, ( I have these alot though and overworked yesterday) halfway through day feel good.

I'm taking 1,300  2 times a day , one in morning, one late afternoon. .

I've also noticed I'm not hungry at luch the last two days.  I eat a good health breakfast though.   Wow that would be nice to loose alittle weight.!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone  else notice anything?

I take more because I'm having Tremors,  I don't hear hardly anyone having these, but that make me feel crazy.  My tremors have not changed yet, ......but  yes, my mood has.

I will continue to post.

Thank you John, ..........I.Encourge everyone to post, to see whats going on. And learn from each  other.

I have to run and get more.  Wouldn't you know it, I only had four left in my bottle and took the last one yesterday evening.  I did sleep really well last night, but after only two days, might be just a coincidence, but even if it's just a placebo effect, who cares!

I am very excited about this!
Yup, I just bought more also.
I've been taking Primrose Oil for about one year.
I'm a female and so I've noticed positive changes in my skin and hair and nail especially.

Sometimes, anti-depressants can cause skin problems, and so Primrose Oil sure took care of that for me. :-)

BTW, I take between 500-1000 mgs per day.
Seems to do the trick for me.  
Fish oil and Evening primrose should be taken with meals, preferably one with fat in it.  GABA is not well absorbed as a supplement; better bet is to take taurine, the amino acid that makes GABA along with B6.  And amino acids should be taken apart from food.  On the other hand, if something is working the way you're doing it, that's the way to do it.  You know, I take fish oil, it's supposed to help, but hasn't.  Maybe give this a try, too, who knows?
Yea!!!
Today is the 5 th day for me, I feel great.  I am totally a different person, I feel like me again.

My body is still hanging on with the tremors, but it used to be hard for me to go into grocery stores and pick up items without getting nerved out.  Today I went in and didn't think anything about it.  I got home and was like OH MY Goodness, I forgot that this is no big deal when your mind is working right.

This is a big step for me, even though yall may say     WHAT?   Grocery store?
I don't know why it was so hard for me, but it was just one of those crazy things , that I dreaded doing, because of the way it made me feel.

I don't understand why this is working so well, I've tried so many different things,

God has truly blessed me.

I hope that it is helping yall too.  
Everyones body is made alittle different , But I sure hope yall are having good results.
mamia, that is soo wicked.   I used to be all social phobia'd out like that too. But primrose oil helped that TOO for me.  Same exact thing when going to stores... I'm better with the eye contact & stuff.  I dont get nervous like I used to.   The primrose definitely does something for that too.  

I may even increase my dose a tad too.. I'm only at 1000 MG a day.  

Even when talking to my dad the other day, he was like "you sound different".  lol..  I guess he's more used to my depressed / emotional self...but when I sounded all uplifting to him, he was prolly shocked.  

Glad to hear its working for you guys.. Mamia, I had the tremors too when I was withdrawing off of anti-depressants.. It lasted up to a MONTH !  And then finally ended eventually.   Were u recently on one ?

How could this miracle natural drug be ignored for so long ?  The best natural anti-depressant if you ask me.  Screw all the other stuff..
Interesting comments on primrose. But this part is probably not correct as they could care less about industry. They are just science people.
"Yuk, of course their going to say crap like that.  Anything to cover up for the pharmaceuticals."

I have had a sore stomach lately and occasional butterflies may be the cause although it can be a chicken egg thing. I have nothing to be anxious about but seem to be anticipating simple personal deadlines as if they might not be met. I might try this for a few days to see if the butterflies go away.
I don't know if I would be taking this without a doctor's consultation if I was on a med or coming off one though.
wow I'm so happy I came across this, I've been dealing my whole life with depression but I've never taken any anti-depressants, I've just heard so many bad things about them that I just really don't want to ever start them. I know, sounds crazy, that a depressed person has never been anti-depressants but I found other ways to cope, none of which were very productive, and in fact a lot of the things I did only added to my list of problems. But sometimes things weren't too bad or I got really busy and it took my mind off everything. Well my depression has recently come back in full swing, and I haven't felt this horrible in a long time. So tomorrow, if I have time, I'm definitely making a trip to the vitamin shop. An all natural supplement that makes you feel good sounds like exactly what I need. I'll post on here how things go for me. Thanks again for posting this thread! And thanks to all the people that commented on this too!
Sarah, it seems like its everybody lately..   The late winter ALWAYS does this to people..  Even in years past its the same exact thing for me in February and March... Its like we've seen enough of the cold winter already....and the depressing politics in the government...that seems to be on TV every 2 seconds.. We just want the warm / hot climate again & a lot of sun !

Hang in there...the Winter's almost over.  In the meantime, Primrose will take care of us .  hehe

We should really try to spread the word around about this, if it works for you.   I've never heard anything bad about the supplement...and most people over the years have only talked about its effect on Skin & PMS...nothing about Depression .

Heck it even seems to help my anxiety, and lower my anger levels as well.   Its so strange but awesome the way it works.
I still haven't made it to the market because I'm like mamiaelectro when it comes to the store, lol, but I have an appt tomorrow so Must leave the house and will pick up the Primrose tomorrow.  

Thanks john, for all your input.  The Winter gets me too.  Seems like a switch goes off in me starting in Nov when the days get shorter.  I'm feeling better depression wise since the days are getting longer now, but I'm excited to read it's helped with your anxiety and anger because those are my main issues.  I've already recommended the Primrose to a friend who's depressed.  

Do you love these forums or what!  I've been here for 2 1/2 yrs and learning new ways to cope from others input has really changed my life for the better!

Well today, Ear ache is full form. I'm in pain from it.

So thats all I feel today. Went to Doctor yesterday about my ear infection so I get to feeling better.

About the weather,  I love it, this is my favorite time of year from Sept- April. We have only had snow a couple of times .  I'm in mid-south area, so it doesn't get too bad.

I got these tremors about 2 months before I was put on Prozac.  I know I have thyroid problems and I hope they will go away when I get that leveled.  If not they say its my nerves, I don't think so, but I've been doing alot of test to see what is up.
I kind-of shake like someone coming off of alcohol , but I don't drink, or do drugs, eat very healthy, careful what I put in my body.

I had so tough things that I dealt with in past and never had the tremors.

I hope to slowly get off prozac, soon.  The past two weeks I'm down to every other day.
I'm under Doc, care everyone.
I'm just so happy that I'm doing better,
Thank yall all for wrighting and letting me know that shopping is hard for yall, wow
I just don't understand why this is like this.  What goes on in our minds that does this to us. I guess afraid so one is going to see we are having a hard time,  
Just think they may also being feeling that way too.

Hope all went well Jade, going to the store , oh how I  know.

Thank you all for sharing, it made my day knowing I'm not alone in many of the struggles that I face,  it's nice to talk with people that really understand , and feel  strange about things
others think are no big deal. and say things like.....just get over it, you make it a big deal.
We know how big it is, we just approch it different for some reason.

I really hope to hear good things from all that are trying this, but if you don't feel the working of it, let others know so they don't feel like  whats wrong with me.  
If we all try to work together we can help one another
3 days with the 1000 mgs of Primrose and doubling up on the fish oil to 2000 mgs.  It may be a coincidence but I am feeling better with the lexapro withdraw.  Brain zaps are minimal.  The shakiness is better as well.  Most important, the rage has calmed down.  I can't believe how irritated and annoyed I get with people for the smallest things.  Oh, I'm also sleeping great!  

My husband is taking is also for his psoriasis (wish they had spell check on this site ;)).  It could take as long as 60 days to see any results on him.
Fish oil is said to help a lot with those brain zaps and the like.  Good luck to you having a quick and easy time of it.
Yuk, and Paxiled,

Brain zaps?  I feel I have these too.  I have never heard anyone say they knew what I was talking about.  I've even talked to Doctors about this and they look at me strange, I stop telling people about this.

What are brain zaps with yall ?   I think my husband thinks I'm a bit strange when I say my brain is doing that zzzzzzzzzzzpppp agin.  I hear a sound and feel like a electric current zapping me for a second.  Sometimes I have one big one or several small ones.  I notice them mostly when I'm sick, or very tired.

Please tell me what your zaps are like.
" I can't believe how irritated and annoyed I get with people for the smallest things."

This is probably a signal that your body needs lexapro on an ongoing basis, and not a signal that lexapro (or its withdrawal) is causing the irritation and annoyance. Check with your doc to make sure you are on a path that makes sense if that is what you are experiencing. Withdrawal effects from lexapro that are temporary are brain zaps and similar physical issues.

You should feel mentally fine if you are presently able to exist without it. When I went off  Celexa the doc told me 6 months of happiness is the minimum you should be enjoying before going off an antidep med. The other thing you should be aware of is a second depression increases your chances greatly of chronic depression, so even if you were feeling fine without lexapro you need to self-monitor closely to avoid another slide into dep.

Also keep in mind that just because promrose is natural does not mean it is good for you. (Perhaps it is, I do not know.) People self-medicate with natural herbs to make "natural" cortisone increases to deal with pain, but my physiotherapist said increasing cortisone is anything but natural.
Your testimony points out that going without treatment is not an option. Meds side effects are not a problem for most who suffer from dep. If you read the side effects of Motrin you would wonder why anyone takes it, but the chances of anything adverse happening is super slight. I have experienced the all encompassing pain of dep and would not wish living without treatment on anyone.
I guess my comments on withdrawal and birdie's response got deleted, so here it is again.  Withdrawal does include emotional symptoms.  It isn't just physical.  It can include anxiety, fits of crying, depression, memory problems, etc. etc.  This can be seen by researching withdrawal.  Fortunately, this doesn't happen to most, and can be minimized by tapering, but it will happen to many, it has happened to many, and I'm one of them.  It's always to be forewarned than the ignoramus I was.  
They deleted our comments.  Your response chastising me for my response to you was deserved.  Sorry I got snarky.  I shouldn't have.  You have my apology.
more Primrose will help with this hostility / aggravation !  :-)

I even got my dad on it like 3 days ago and he says he notices the positive effects already.  He's got a case of cabin fever like me I believe.

I personally dont think people should take more than 2000 MG's a day.. as it makes me feel more spacey and la la land...like.    

500 MG's twice a day seems to be smooth enough...if i'm extra irritable for a reason i'll go up to 500 MG's 3 times a day.  But i've never really needed more that that.

Still working good for you guys ?  

About the brain zaps... I've had them severely when I saw on Paxil 10 years ago...my doctor also looked at me like I was crazy when I was trying to explain about them... so dont worry... Its not all in your head.  (hmm , well it is & it isn't is ya know what I mean)  

:-)
Thanks for creating such a informative thread!  It has perked my interested in trying primrose oil, and I am now thinking about ordering some online... What amount of GLA do you take in your primrose pill?

Thanks again,

HoᴖeyNᴗt
The amount of GLA will always be the same percentage of the total dose of evening primrose oil.  The more primrose you take, the more GLA, but it won't be a higher percentage.  You can get more GLA by taking borage oil or black currant seed oil, but they don't have the same overall effects as evening primrose oil, which has effects, particularly hormonal, beyond just the GLA.
HoneyNut is right...I know for a fact Borage oil doesn't have the same type of relaxing effect.   (from my experimentation years back)

I'd try Primrose oil for 2 weeks and stop....and then Borage oil for 2 weeks and stop.  

Almost none of these relaxing , anti-depressing , anti-anxiety symptoms were relieved with Borage.
^^ Oops, I meant Paxiled is right...in response to HoneyNut's post.
Thanks John,

they come on go, I've gotten used to them. (the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzppp's)

I am really feeling good, the world sure seems a brighter place.  My mood is only getting better, still have trigger points and time, but it is nothing like the nightmare I have been dealing with.

My shakes are still with me, but there is a little change for the better.

I have started sleeping better too.,  and it's amzaing to me that it seems to curve my food cravings.  I guess when things work better in your body, other things seem to line up better too.

I'm truly loving primrose,  Hope others are seeing good results

Thank you, Thank you,..........John
I joined the party today, taking my first primrose pill.  Will see what happens.  
me too
mamia, we just need to spread the word around to everyone else now !  I'm really glad its helping you.

On a serious side... I was alarmed at how good this Primrose worked even when I first tried it 10 years ago..  But didn't really make a big deal out of it because I felt like only "I" was having outstanding results with this...plus the fact that I didn't know anybody else that was on it..  I think even back then , a part of me felt like saying -

"CNN Breaking News....Primrose Oil is all that is needed for Depression & Anxiety."

alright, maybe I over-exaggerated a little...but as the years went by...and I needed it again & again because of very stressful and/or depressing times... It brought me out of my hole EVERY SINGLE TIME...  

Around the 4th or 5th time (currently) that it helped the way it did....I was like screw it..  I'm going to get the word out about this Primrose whether people flame me like a Troll or not.

I'm still baffled right at this moment of why Nutritionists and other natural health doctors haven't looked into the AMAZING anti-depressing benefits of this drug.  Why has it taken this long ?  

I dont understand it.

Not one person yet in this thread has said it isn't working for them.  (remember to take 1000 MG's or more a day if you're trying it)

So go figure....we've found the cure to Depression right here.   But i'm sure a 'real' MD will soon post here saying something silly....like how natural medicines are dangerous and people should only take the advice of their doctor.....or whatever. (yada yada yada)
I keep reading your thread, John, and I'm very excited to read y'all's reports so can you believe I still haven't gotten myself to the store?  I had to cancel my appt last Friday so never left the house, but if I don't go tomorrow then I am just a fool.  Wish me luck in getting myself to the store because once I begin Primrose my anxiety will decrease and then I won't have such a problem getting to the Store, lol!!!
Jade, you can even order it online somewhere if its that bad.  

:-)
I did it, John!  

There was a jack hammer being used outside of Rite Aide (oh, my nerves) so I took one right there in the car! :)
Good for you Jade!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate loud noises too.  It goes all through me.

We all wish you, a feel good feeling!!!!!!
mamiaelectro...Thank you! :)  Yes, noise like that goes right through me too.  Someone on the street behind me had a stereo going at 10pm last night and while I couldn't hear any music, I could feel the bass and the vibration.  My husband is normal and he couldn't hear or feel a thing, lol.  

Paxiled...I am taking it with meals as you mentioned it should be.  I'm pretty sure I saw a bottle of GLA alone.  So GLA is in Primrose.  What is GLA and would one want to take that on Top of the Primrose for a boost?  Maybe a dumb question, but I know nothing about this.  I suppose I could google it, but I'd like to hear it from you...or John...whoever knows :)    

Jade, I wouldn't compare GLA with Primrose.  Primrose is in a class of its own.  We even talked about it in this thread somewhere near the top.  

Does it seem to be working for ya yet ?  
Hard to say yet, John.  Maybe.  I feel pretty calm :)  I'm in alot of sciatic pain though and that's clouding my mind and keeping me awake at night so I think once that gets better, I'll be able to better assess the reality of how I feel.  I'm very hopeful though, and will be sure to update.  Oh and thanks, I scrolled to the top and saw the comments on the GLA.  I didn't go up far enough before.  

How's everyone else feeling???  
When looking up evening primrose oil online, I could not find that the amount of oil was equivalent to the amount of evening primrose oil online.  As the manufacturers had evening primrose oil listed separately and then GLA.  Such as:

Evening Primrose Oil 1000.0mg
Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA)90.0mg

For examples (not ones I was considering): http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Herbals/Evening-Primrose-Oil-1000-mg/ID=prod372977&navCount=1&navAction=push-product?V=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku372978

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Women-s-Health-Evening-Primrose-Oil-1000-mg-Per-Softgel-75-ct/10324999?sourceid=1500000000000007346330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10324999#ProductDetail

Thanks,

ʚ- HoᴖeyNᴗt
Evening primrose oil is pressed from the seed of the plant and contains several different fats, not just GLA.  But again, the effects of evening primrose oil aren't just from the GLA.  That's just one constituent.  If someone just wanted GLA I'd tell them to take borage oil, but that has no demonstrated effects, for example, on hormonal balance.  If you're going to try this for depression just try it and don't focus on the amount of the different fats in the oil.  If what you want is GLA, take borage oil.  It has a lot more GLA than does evening primrose oil.
10 days on Primrose - not quite there yet.  28 days since I the withdraw symptoms kicked in.  I actually can't remember when my last lexapro pill was but I beleive it was weeks before any symptoms appeared.

I do beleive the Primrose oil helps.  Like Miami stated above, I too think the zaps and irritability is worse when I'm tired.  I seem to get more tired as the week goes on.  Saturday morning I'm very irritable and my brain feels like it is sliding everytime I move my head.  I've been taking one (1000) primrose at night before bed but I take an extra on Sat morn.  I think I will make this my routine.

As birdie0907 stated that my symptoms are consistent with the depression itself and yes, I know that   Everyone (husband, manager, co-worker) is keeping watch, including me.  If I can't beat this is another month or two, I will return to the ADs.  But, I have to give it time.

I tell ya - I'm never going back on lexapro though - I will try some prozac first - no withdraws that I can remember.
I have been taking Evening Primrose off and on for years. At first it was for hot flashes....but now in my 50's I seem to have severe anxiety at night before I go to bed. When I take Evening Primrose--1000 mg, within an hour I am completely relaxed and can sleep the whole night. It doesn't keep me from getting up early in the morning. There is no hang-over effect.
Thanks for the tip. I don't hold much faith in natural suppliments for depression as bad and chronic as mine is, but nothing gained nothing lost. Can't hurt to try because God knows I have already tried everything and nothing works but my meds, only they only help with about half my symptoms.

I'm game to try anything once.
I think I'll pass, but thanks for your help.
so results seem mixed so far ?

I found myself a bit more anxious than normal..so I went up to 1000 MG twice a day and feel better now.

It always seems to have that more relaxed / less anxious / less worried effect on me. Which is a good thing.

I agree with Mo906, it definitely helps relax you right before sleep.. I usually wake up feeling good too.
Hi John,
I just want to thank you again.  My doctor wanted me to get off of it for 2 weeks to do some blood work.  I did, now that is now over.  I went back on it, wow, what a difference.  I know this works well with my body.  

Because you took the time to try to help someone make a difference in their life.  I just wanted you to know it has, and I'm very thankful to you for caring to share, if we all find things and share them people can be helped and that is one reason we come to this, looking for answers from people that know how it feels to live like we do, with many of the same issues.

take care,
mamia
I had to stop.  Was getting very depressed and much more anxious.  Feel somewhat better after stopping.  Probably not the right time for me, since I'm tapering off Celexa, and maybe it isn't best used with an anti-depressant.  It also might have stimulating anti-depressant effects, which aren't good for anxiety sufferers, like Wellbutrin.  But my problem is quite weird anyway, I completely went to hell when I went off paxil four years ago and never came back, and have had a lot of paradoxical reactions since then.  Maybe I'll try again at a later time, since at first it improved my sex drive, but not now.
Upon your advice I started taking the Primrose oil 3 days ago.
I take two in morning and two in evening.

I have to say that I have noticed some theraputic effect regarding my GAD Generalized Anxiety Dissorder. Problem is that it's doing nothing for the symptoms of my depression and the heavy feeling I always have in my head.

Getting back to the anxiety, I have noticed that when I wake my body is not trembling upon waking up as it always was before. This is making it easier to get out of bed.

The verdict is still out for me and this obviously could all be me experiencing a placebo effect. (Think something might work and even though it doesn't you manifest it working in your brain)

My hand tremmor also seems a bit better too. Maybe there is something to this Primrose oil. I am still experimenting with different dosages and times of dosage, but I really think it may be helping with my constant symptoms of anxiety.

I also take several other depression and anxiety meds and have not noticed any bad interaction with my meds, nor can I find any medical documentation that Primrose can not be taken with Psychiatric meds.

We shall see. I have never gotten any benifit from any natural substance, but this may be different.
Refractory and Mamia glad to hear its still working.  

Paxiled, i'm not sure why it did that to you.  Maybe you were coming off an anti-depressant ?  
hi, can you take primrose oil and stjohns wort? i tapered off effexorxr about 4 wks. ago, and starteda regimen of stjohns wort 2 caps. 2xs. a day and omega3 fish oil caps. 1 once a day. got through the dizziness/ brain zaps o.k. now the crying jags / shortness of breath and anger are in full tilt. my husband bought the primrose oil for me this morning, but brought home 1000mg. caps. instead of 5oomg. caps. i took one anyway. on top of the stjohns wort and fish oil cap. now i am sooo tired and drowsy and moderately dizzy. but i have been bawling alot and been angry at everybody this morning so maybe this accounts for the fatigue and clogged sinus dizziness? it takes alot of energy to be a complete b- -ch. did i screw up taking the primrose oil and stjohns wort? help!!!
well, i tried the primrose oil caps. they work very well. gave me such a wondeful feeling of well being. cannot take them though because the gastric problems were awful. wuckie
Been about a week now on the Primrose oil. It's odd that it caused anxiety in some, because I have horrible anxiety and I find it soothing in that regard.

Thanks John for turning me on to it. I have noticed that it's not working quite as well as it did the first few days. Perhaps thats me adjusting to it. No side effects at all.

It's not a cure all and won't fix ones anxiety, but I found something that keeps my hands from shaking for 8 hours and gives me maybe 25% relief of my anxiety then I call that a welcome aid in my fight against my condition.

Seems to have no negitive impact on my Depression and no good either, but that's fine with me as it helps the anxiety just a tad. Now I can wake up, take 1300Mgs and send emails because my hands can type. Not half bad for a natural substance.

Off all the junk naturals I have taken who would figure primrose oil to work. I can't even find any documentation for it being helpful for anxiety, but who cares because it works for me just enough to give me a little edge on life.
After reading all your posts I'm very interested in giving this a try.  I must have tried years ago because I found a bottle of 1300 mg of Primrose Oil capsules in my basement not even opened yet.  The expiration date on the bottom is May 2005!!  I opened the bottle and there is defintely a smell.  Don't know if it's a good smell or a bad smell.  I would think that a fresh bottle would smell?  Any advice on whether I should try them or pitch a buy new??
Hey everybody. I'm 17, and I've just recently been have a bout with depression and have always had a bit of an anxiety problem. I'm not a big fan of prescription medications, and only take them if I really need to (I currently only have a medication for my anxiety, and I only take that when I have the anxiety attacks). I've been reading over this article and I believe I might try this. My mom has been looking into natural aids to help with my anxiety recently, and I think she'd be interested to hear about this. Would you recommend a lower dose for a younger person? Thanks for the help.
I have been taking 2000mg for the last 7 days and nothing. What brand do you take???
Hi John

Thanks a lot John for your post ! This is a ray of hope for me !

It's amazing how similar experience i have with that of yours. I do have a skin condition and I was adviced to take Evening Primrose Oil. I too noticed good effect on mood of EPO. I found that generally it works on skin when taken after food in night and works for mood when taken on empty stomack. I do believe that the skin condition and mood disorders could be because of same reason.

I also have bit of depression/anger, feeling of being unsecured. I rarely feel relaxed. and EPO helped in this when i was taking it early morning on empty stomach. I had do stop taking the same due to some side effects a) It made me so much hungry. I had to eat so much when on EPO. b) it caused mouth ulcers (after around 8 days). So i had to stop it in between. What is your experience on this one ? Do you take it before or after food ? If on empty stomach then after how much time you eat ?

Thanks John again and waiting to hear from you.

Cheers
Megha

Does anybody know how it actually works? Scientifically? I'm so depressed, Iv just had the copper coil IUD taken out as I'm convinced after research it has been copper toxicity causing all my problems. Doctors just fob Me off with more pills & look at Me like I'm crazy. Iv always suffered depression BUT this time I'm unnervingly uptight, anxious, mind racing... Insomnia! Making it very difficult for Me to look after my 3 year old son. Help??
I made this thread 2 1/2 years ago and kinda forgot about.

Glad it's helped so many.  I still use it today and still works like it did several years ago.     I sometimes go up to 3000 MG's a day on rough days.  

Charlie, I really haven't researched up on exactly how it works...but some interesting info on wiki when you google primrose oil wiki.

hope that helps.  
Just read back through your posts... only just found them (march 2013) .... while researching primrose oil.
Found it all very interesting. Thanks.
Starting it today for anxiety & psoriasis. I hope it works for me too. 8-)
Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experiences. I will be picking up some tomorrow and giving it a go.
For those for whom the EPO has worked , Can you please let us know if this is to be taken before food (e.g. 1 hour before food ) or immediately after food ?

I found that this worked for me when i took it on empty stomach with warm water but then it made me so much hungry and caused weight gain. I also got mouth ulcers after few days.

It seems that this did not happen for others so really want to know if this is to be taken before food , with food or after food.

thanks
Megha
jugglin commented on photo
Heather8448 commented on photo
spider6 commented on photo