Depression Community
Prozac /Cumbalta

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Prozac /Cumbalta

I am using 60mg prozac a day for 10 years now. My question is: Are the ingredients of Prozac  the same as Cymbalta or similar?
Thank you in advance for your reply.
There are lots of different kinds of anti-depressants.  None of them are exactly the same as each other, but they fall into different categories.  Prozac is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).  Cymbalta is a norephrine reuptake inhibitor, which is a VERY similar group, but it acts on adrenaline as well as serotonin, and is therefore stronger and has stronger side effects.  I've been on both kinds, and found them both fine, except that the SSRI didn't work for me.  
But even if they were in the exact same category, you could still respond to one and not the other, because there would still be a slight difference.  
You really need a qualified Pharmacist to ansewer your question ~ they are usually happy to answer questions. Good Luck
No

Google them and you will see they are different.

Cymbalta suits some people better and some people are the other way round
I have been on prozac for 13 years without a break. I started at 20 mg months later went up to 40 mg per day and then two years ago I was put on 60mg daily
I want to get off these anti depressents. How do I do that Safely. Any information would be deeply appreciated. Thanks
You should work with your Dr on a tapering schedule. It could take quite a bit of time since you have been on this med for several years. The slower the better in my opinion.
Yes PLEASE don't take yourself off without a psychiatrist's input. Antidepressants have a nasty habit of causing withdrawal even when they are discontinued carefully... I'm being hit really hard with withdrawal issues right now and they're not something to mess around with. Ask your doctor what you can expect to feel like with the changes in medication and make an informed decision about whether you'd rather remain on them or brave the journey off. Do you want to go off because of side effects? or because you feel you no longer need them? Those are important things to share with your doctor so he or she can help you make an informed decision about how to progress. Perhaps another medication would suit you better if you do, indeed, still need it. Good luck and post updates!
Raspberry_belle uploaded new photos
KTowne commented on KeeLolo's status
KTowne commented on KeeLolo's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time