Depression Community
Prozac and Insomnia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Prozac and Insomnia

Could anyone share their experience with Prozac and sleep?  Does it create insomnia?  Are there sleeping pills that work for 6 - 8 hours?  Does the user build up tolerance to prozac and sleeping pills?

Thank you
You should sleep better on Prozac, if not you may need to have your dosage increased.  Yes, there are sleeping pills that last 6-8 hours, and you can build up a tolerance to both.
How long have you been on Prozac?  I know for me for the first month or so I had a hard time falling to sleep and I would always wake up early....but I never felt tired for some reason.  After about 5 weeks or so I slept very well.  I believe one of the side effects of Prozac is that it act as a stimulant so this could be what you are experiencing.
I just started taking Prozac 3 days ago. I'm having some serious sleep issues right now. I have a hard time falling asleep and wake up very early. I don't feel as tired as I expected I would but I'm still pretty tired. My Dr warned me that this might happen and recommended that I take it in the morning if it does. Do you already take yours in the morning?

I still need to call her today to ask if I'm allowed to take some Ambien or Tylenol PM or anything. I think I would heal faster if I could get a solid night sleep for a couple of nights.
Thanks for your feedback.  I haven't started taking prozac.  Still considering while I implement a commitment to being active (swimming, yoga, sailing, biking).  This is the first time ever that I have been able to make myself do it.  I am loving it.  Shattered my tibia 9 months ago and couldn't walk at all for 3 months.  Now that I can use my body, I am.  It is so good for my head.  So I'm delaying on the prozac, but still using marijuana. I dream of a life with no dependence on drugs.

I have been on Prozac for almost a year, & I can say that for me, it definitely causes insomnia. It is a possibility, but you will have to take it for yourself to see how your body responds. Personally, I did not have any sleeping difficulty on a very low dosage, but after creeping up on milligrams, sleep is a constant struggle. I take Ambien CR every night which helps me sleep anywhere from 5 - 8 hours. And regarding tolerance, I have had the need to go up on the dose multiple times b/c symptoms will return after a while of being effectively managed. My doctor hasn't indicated that this is a tolerance build up per se, but it seems as though my brain responds to the increased level of serotonin the Prozac allows for, then as my brain adjusts, symptoms return. All in all though, I think it is a great drug & besides the sleeping dilemma, it has markedly improved my life. Good luck to you!
jennylane70 is ... Comment
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
labyrinth28 longing for jannah Comment