Depression Community
Prozac and Insomnia

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Prozac and Insomnia

I have been on Prozac for 1 week today I am only taking 5mg to start out because I am very sensitive on medicaions. I started out by taking it in the morning hours. I am having a hard time sleeping I just feel like I never get into a deep sleep and my mind is always racing. I decided to switch the medicine to the evening. I did that last night and I think it was worse. I am so sleepy and I just want a good nights rest. Any Advice on what I might be able to add to be able to sleep in the evenings. Other then that I am not having any side effects which is good becuase in the past anti depressants would give me really bad headaches.
All SSRI antidepressants can cause problems with sleeping in the first few weeks, Prozac is one of the SSRIs that has more of a stimulating effects (compared to Paxil - which has more of a sedating effect). You should try taking the Prozac first thing in the morning. The sleep problems should go away in another week or so; however, you will likely run into the same problem when you start upping your dose. Relaxation techniques before going to bed may help. Or your doctor may be able to give you a sleep aid to use until you are at a therapeutic dose of Prozac and the side-effects have diminished.
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
KTowne commented on photo
KeeLolo commented on photo
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time