Depression Community
Prozac and weight gain

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Prozac and weight gain

Is there a correlation between taking Prozac and weight gain?  I have been on this med for close to 20 years and have steadily gained weight during those years (2-3 pounds a year).  I wondered if it is the meds or just me!?!
SSRIs are notorious for weight gain, but Prozac has less of a weight gain potential (compared to say Paxil). Your weight gain may be natural - over the course of 20 years. Or  it may be the result of the Prozac. But 2-3 pounds per year to gain from an SSRI is not very much. I was on Lexapro for 2-3 years and gained nearly 40 pounds in that time.
I was just put on Prozac yesterday and my doc told me that it is more likely that I will lose weight than gain it.  He said that because I had an eating disorder in the past.
Ya I was on lexapro for 4 years i gain 25kg from 75kg
Then to viepax xr and i maintained 100kg even I exercise, hit the gym 3 times.
The withdraw of viepax is ******* horrible. I misses one dose my panic attacks came many times. Then I have to be xanax for a week.
Recently i miss a viepax dose again it happened again.
This week i am put on flouxetine. It is only 6th day i feel better. I hope i will loose back 20kg. It is easier to withdraw from flouxetine. Vitamin BComplex helps my headaches and Omega 3 helps me a lot less anxiety but for panic disorder i still have to depend on xanax for a week or 2 to get my body back.

Don't any how eat antidepressant medicine. Be happy always. Jesus is with us always. Amen. Cause he died for us.
char1234vass added the Exercise Tracker
pb95 commented on photo
KTowne commented on Des_a_rae's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time