Depression Community
Resperidol

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Resperidol

Is this drug used in dementia, alzheimers etc for what reason?
How severe is the dementia? How advanced is the alzheimer's disease?

I did worry it would be difficult to find any information about it the way you did spell it. Please make sure that when you ask about drug names you spell it off the bottle/box. That way it's much easier to help you!

On MH you can now look up many drugs. Hopefully you can find something there?

Risperidone (Risperdal):
http://www.medhelp.org/drugs/show/4370

I hope I don't wind up confusiong you - it's the closest I could find.
Check back!

~Florena
I did some checking for you and uncovered this: (quote)

"Risperidone can help some people with dementia who have symptoms such as aggression and agitation (getting upset easily). But elderly people who take this drug for dementia have an increased risk of having a stroke. Risperidone is no longer considered a safe treatment for elderly people.

What is it?
Risperidone is an antipsychotic drug. It is normally used to treat people with serious mental health problems like schizophrenia. It is a newer type of antipsychotic drug and may have fewer side effects than older antipsychotic drugs.

Risperidone has sometimes been given to people in the later stages of dementia.

But the Committee on Safety of Medicines (CSM) says risperidone should no longer be used to treat elderly people with Alzheimer's disease or other types of dementia because the drug increases their risk of having a stroke.1 (The CSM is an independent group of experts which advises the British government on drug safety.) "

I found this by doing a google search using dementia and resperidal as key words...

Good luck in your research...
xan
I heard that Risperidol/Risperidone was a major tranquilizer.  My shrink gave me what she called a "pediatric" dose in order to help my depression and anxiety.  But maybe in Canada this drug is used differently than in the USA.

KTowne, and Belle313 commented on Belle313's status
1 hr ago
gymdandee commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
KTowne 11 more days until we find ... Comment
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time