Depression Community
SSRI Withdrawal Syndrome - Should I be worried?

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I have suffered from episodes of major depression on and off since I was 11 years old.  My last episode of depression was 7 years ago.  To have 7 years depression free has been a major miracle in my life.  

I have been taking Zoloft for the last 3 years and I wasn’t really sure if it contributed to my ability to stay well.  My dose recently (over a 9 month period) had been reduced from 200mg per day to 50mg and I was still feeling great.  When I got to 50mg I stopped the medication as want to get pregnant.  That was two weeks ago and my life has become a living hell.  I am aware that I am suffering from SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome - however I was not aware that I would feel so depressed, severely agitated and a constant sense of rage.  Today is the first day that I have started to feel completely out of control, with fleeting suicidal thoughts, not unlike the way I would when I start an episode of severe depression.    

I know that people react differently to withdrawal, I know that I did not taper off properly and I know that it can take several weeks for the symptoms to subside.  I really want to know if these feelings are considered normal during withdrawal and whether they will subside over the next few weeks or are they signs for major concern?
I think what you are experiencing is return of depression.  You have reduced your dosage a lot, and the depression has come through again.  Do you not think that?  

Maybe you need to continue with your medication, not stop taking it.
You may be right - I REALLY hope not :-/  
Went back to my doctor and fortunately what I was experiencing was severe withdrawals.  I have gone back on my medication with the view to reduce the dose slowly over six months.  Within 5 days of being back on the meds I feel fine.  phew!  To anyone reading this, if you have been on SSRIs for a long period of time (or even a short period of time), seek your doctors advice if you wish to come off them.  I of course already knew this, but naturally convinced myself that I was fine and that I could do it myself.  Lesson learnt!
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time