Depression Community
Sam-e for depression?

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

Sam-e for depression?

Hi-

I have been suffering from major depression for about 10 years and have become progressively worse. I really want to try to exhaust all options before I try antidepressants because my body doesn't tolerate medications very well. I heard that sam-e was as effective as antidepressants and also has stimulant properties for the low energy. Has anyone tried taking it or know anything about it? Any info would be great- thanks!
I have schizoaffective with the bipolar aspect not depression but I've heard that Sam-e been deemed mildly effective in studies and for some people helpful. In Europe its used as a medication. Here unfortunately, the regulation of medicine is not advanced enough and natural remedies are not regulated and thus its an unknown quantity. I would say it would be perfectly appropriate if a psychiatrist accepted you using it and some do use natural remedies. But be careful. The energy boosting effects can push some people into a manic state. I had that happen with someone I met online on another site and by the end they were full blown manic and borderline psychotic but then again they had self diagnosed with depression and probably had bipolar. For myself the natural remedy rhodiola which is used for my tardive dyskinesia is also effective on depression in the same manner as Sam-E because of the fact that it raises serotonin (this is the "energy boosting" effect you mean) which is the same thing clinical anti-depressents do as well as Sam-E. I found out about it and Sam-e through a presentation by the neurologist Dr. Richard Brown of Columbia University so you can look up his website (I won't post a link as I don't have permission to). Either have been shown to be effective but even though they are natural remedies they are still medications so please take them under a psychiatrist's care.  
I have to agree with ILADVOCATE. Some people have found Sam-E to be helpful, but just because it is available without prescription doesn't mean it isn't a *medication*.
If you are taking it for "major depression' then you should be taking it under the care of a psychiatrist, in my view.
Have you looked into mega vitamin therapy for depression? Omega 3 like flax and fish oil? I tried AMORYN for my depression and it works ! I have tried ssri's lile paxil but not able to tolerate . Google Amoryn , it has B6 , B12 , 5HTP and extracts of john wort in standarized potency so it is more effective than taking john wort alone.
Thank you all so much for your input. I am going to see a psychiatrist today to discuss this further and see what the best options are for me- if anyone is interested I'll be happy to let you know what I learn. Thanks again!
Belle313, and KTowne commented on Belle313's status
10356 commented on Jade59's status
CRSeaside commented on Help
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time