Depression Community
Seasonal Affective Disorder... in Spring?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Everybody's heard of SAD affecting people in the colder months, but has anyone had experience getting depressed and anxious in the spring? I haven't been able to find anything online, and "spring fever" doesn't seem to properly describe the severity of what I'm talking about-- as in, the worst depression or anxiety occurs in the spring, every year, regardless of circumstances.
Anybody?
Yes it can occur in the opposite manner than usual. I believe the term reverse seasonal affective disorder is used. Seasonal affective disorder is treated of course with anti-depressents but specific therapy with lightboxes as well but of course a psychiatrist would have to diagnose it. Speak to your psychiatrist about if this might be what's going on.
Ooh, it's useful to have an accepted name for this. I'd just been calling it Backwards/Bizarro/Big Stupid Jerk Seasonal Affective Disorder. I don't believe that my psychiatrist has heard of it as a condition but believes me when I say I've noticed the trend. Thanks for the validation, Iladvocate!
Summer is the time of year I'm most likely to feel depressesd.  My favorite times of year are fall and winter.  I don't like sun light, especially brite sun and warm weather.  Cool and dark is where I'm most comfortable.  Moonlight is the best on a crisp fall night.  I tend to isolate indoors in the spring and summer months.  When I do go out, I slather myself up with sun block, dark glasses and sometimes a hat.  I joke with friends and my therapist that I'm a vampire!

I tend to get more depressed in spring and summer as well.   But my circadian rhythm is backwards anyway, so it kinda makes sense.  
i live in fla. the summers here are hot, if that's not bad enough the humidity is a real killer. i hate it. i hate the thought of summer comming. i'm good from oct. to may. then no matter what, the depression hits. i'm an outdoor kind of person. i have such a resentment against the heat here. it makes me just want to stay under the covers till oct. but i fight it. i go out early and then late afternood.  and i accept this. it's just part of me.

i will say one thing.

every year durning the summer i swear i'm moving north. well in feb i was in tenn. at the time it was 2 degrees down to below freezing. i had gone up there in hopes of seeing snow. i've seen snow on the ground but never a snowfall. well it did'nt snow. i've never known such cold, i've never had to wear so may clothes.the radio said to to sure to wear layers. what do i know. i thought layes was some kind of name brand winter clothing. my husband had to explain it meant . long johns, t-shirt sweater jacket, levi's   woolen hat and scraf  boots. and thick scoks plus mittens well all that weighed more then me.
then when you got where you were going to had to take some of it off, then put it back on. i learned my lesson and don't know how ya'll manage.

today for reasons no one knows, it's cold here and will drop to the 30's tonight. but i can't help but let the thought of the summer comming on. just writing about it gets to me. but like i say. it's not the worse thing that can happen to me. i know fall will come.
I get depression in the spring and early summer for years, my pdoc said it's cyclical depression not SAD. In hindsight nost of the last 15yrs this has happened, and it's started again. My pdoc is being a bit more agressive, because the mood stabilizer that I"m taking just isn't enough. I was put on an AD as well as the MS, I hope it works, I've dropped down quite a bit in the last two weeks, I feel like a grumpy slug.grrr.
HI, I'm new to all of this but I feel like I just hit the jackpot. I have been going through this during the spring for some time. I just started counseling and have been put on Wellbutrin in addition to the Zoloft I have been on for about 13 years. I feel the Spring triggers a lot of memories and I start to think about all the people I have lost and how many more I have to lose. Once I get through Spring, I seem to be just fine. This is something I realy whant to get to the bottom of, because I think Spring could be the season to enjoy the most. I'll keep in touch and let you what I've learned.
i m facing this problem for last 3 years. i get depressed malacholic in spring season and my digestive systme get disturbed. I face diarrhoea in every spring season. diarrhoea is trigered out by depression and depression is trigered out by diarrhea. And i get stuck in this vicious circle. The Most worst time was 2006 when this problem remained for 6 months and i lost my 8 kg weight (from 54 to 46). These days once again im facing this problem.

i have finished HCV treatment and on AD for last 3 months. Some days ago i tried to tapper off AD but it made me dizzy and depress and my dirrhoea got worsen . i have started it again.

ali
Hi Debbie,

I chart my mood each day and have recently found out that I am at my lowest during the spring and summer months.  I thought it was interesting how you said you thought about people you have known.  I am trying to find out why my moods are this way.  It may be on a subconscious level right now.  Maybe I will dream about it tonight:)
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
1 hr ago
jenjen08 Birth story is posted i wil... Comment
realjimmy your existence and the good... Comment