Sensitivities to treatment
I have been treated for depression with many meds over the last 20 years.  Most recently, my doctor has suggested that she sees me as mildly bipolar and has suggested mood stabilizing meds.  I have been on 40 mg of Geodon over the last 2 months.  It has been helpful for sleep however I wake entirely unrested and with physical aches esp of neck and shoulders.  Weakness and malaise.  At this level my depression is not quite controlled either.  Other medications such as cymbalta and effexor have left me at risk for hypomania.  My Dr. is running out of options.  She has now suggested Emsam and /or referring to Oregon Health Sciences.  Running out of options??????  What to do?\

I take fish oil and Vitamin D.  I have also had two courses of ECT.  I want my life back.

Marti
when you are bi polar you have to on a mood stabilizer and an anti depressant. I take zyprexa and celexa and in works wonderfully for me. been on it 7 years now and I have a great life.
I am surprized do only put you on anitdepressant.  when you go back to the doc tell him you need both to be well. Let me know what happens.
Love Venora
i am on lamictal and lexapro w/ trazodone for sleep.  seems to be a good combo for me.  lamictal is a mood stabilizer.
i agree that you should be on a mood stabilizer but also i think you need more courses of ECT, I got to the point where the drugs where not helping only ECT treatments
My psych is of a mind that mood stabilizers are the way to go even if a person is just mildly bi polar which she thinks I am.  So far, I have not felt well on these meds....fatigue and malaise are key side effects.  It seems more common for docs to think both an antid and a mood stabilizer are required.  It's not entirely clear to me that i have a manic component.....meds have certainly moved me in that direction.

My doc hoped that maintanence ECt would be the ticket for me.  The first round was quite successful, the second less.  What is hardest for me to accept is the extreme memory loss I experience with these treatments.  If I am in a good place....I can take this loss with some humor.  It is kind of frieghtening.  I admit tho that poor memory exists for me otherwise and I don't like it a bit.  I am looking into thyroid treatment altho I have always had "normal" labs.

What is certain is that I am med sensitive, and it's always a challenge.  I don't like being a "special" person in this way!

thanks for your comment.