Sexual abuse
Hi.  I was diagnosed with severe depression about 3 years ago, but I still have not moved passed it.  This year has been a really bad year, like unlucky or something, so much bad stuff has happened to me and my father, who I think is depressed and has anxiety disorders.  The thing is, a couple of months ago, I was sexually abused by my father and the way I dealt with it was by not thinking about it at all.  I've been on Cymbalta for about 3 months, but I still get depressed and really sometimes think life is not worth living. So I went to the school counselor and she said I had to go to counseling, with my father, and that I should report this incident to the police.  But I love my father, it's weird, during the summer I went to Vegas alone, and I missed him, even after what happened.  IHe's the only one that's been there for me in the past because my mothers rejects me. I'm supposed to go to counseling next week, but I don't know whether to bring the topic about being sexually abused or not because I don't want them to report the incident.  I don't know if they have the obligation to, even though I'm no longer a minor.  It would make me feel a lot worse if the incident weren't reported; I don't understand why this happened, my father is a good person, and after I left from the school counselor, I felt a lot worse.  So I really don't know what to do....This just sort of eats away at me, not knowing what to do. I would be okay to talk about the sexual abuse during counseling if I knew that there would be no repercussions for my father.
If you are no longer a minor they have no obligation to report it. I talk about the sexual abuse by my father in therapy all the time. In fact, I COULDN'T do anything about it legally, even if I wanted to, because the statute of limitations has run out. I am only 24. Each state differs on how long, but you only have a certain amount of time after your 18th birthday to report child sexual abuse. So you really have no worries there at all. You really should see a therapist to discuss all of this. Especially all of your feelings about it.

It is perfectly normal to love your dad even though he abused you. He's still your dad. You can love him, without loving what he did to you. I actually struggled a lot with that at first.

Hun I take it this was not the first time he has (RAPED) you, sorry to use that word yet thats what it is called.

Do you have a best friend? Would it be possible to move in with a friend and her family cause hate to tell you this isn't going to stop, sooner or later you going to get pregnant with your fathers baby and from experence he is going to do the same thing to your child or one of your friends.

Believe me I know hun that it is hard to turn in your father yet when I turned in my own dad and he went to jail when he got out he was overjoyed that I did cause he said he would have not have stopped if he didn't get help. btw when i did it i was only 14.