Showering while feeling Depressed
What is it about showering that is so difficult when a person is really depressed?
Good question.  I don't know why really.  I just did  a quick run in and out when I felt really low.  
A man in my support group always reports back to us, saying I've been able to take more showers last week. It makes no difference to me, but I can tell some members wash their hair.
     I love to take, what my husband calls Hour Showers, when I'm up.
My dad used to get mad when my mom & I were in a hurry & we'd take what we'd call " ***** baths". He taught us to say a more lady like term,
"Birdie Baths".       Pamela
I guess I was censored.
  Another way of putting a quick wash up of arm pits, below your waist & your feet would be called working girl baths.
My dad made us say Birdie Baths.
I think it's because depression can zap all of our energy. Like you, I love to take long showers most of the time but when I'm feeling depressed I have to drag myself into the shower and can't wait to be done.
Men have it easier. We women have to wash our hair, put on conditioner, shave our legs and arm pits, use a pumas stone on our feet, I do anyway to keep the bottoms nice and soft. The only thing I think I like about Winter is I get to shave my legs less. Ha ha!
Yes Remar, shaving,using loompha,pumice stone,2 types conditioner,shower gel,shaving. I thought depression & showering had to do with water. It's probably the energy drain of anticipation. Plus squeegee the glass shower door !   Pamela
I still love to swim in the ocean, it's very warm down here. The Agrophobia has been bugging me, so I haven't been going much this year.
Yep, we women have to go through an awful lot with showering.
I must say that I'm jealous. We have snow right now and it's 18 degrees outside. The warm ocean sounds wonderful!
When we are depressed, our self care is very minimal...and that includes bathing, showering, doing our nails, cleaning the house, or cooking a healthy meal.  So often the sadness keeps us in a chair or on the couch or in bed, and when I first started recovering from depression, found that a list every day of activities that needed to be done, and then checking them off after doing them really helped get me up and moving...I also put the most dreadful things on the list first so I don't think of having to do them all day long....Number 1 on the list is cleaning the kits litter box, once I do that, the rest of my day is brighter and a lot more fun....

When I was little, by mom was hospitalized for depression, and I remember asking my dad, " what is depression", and he said, "
you spend all your energy keeping your feelings inside and bottled up and you become too tired to do anything else...."   This was a good answer for a child to understand...

M
So true! Cleaning the house is kept to a minimum when I'm feeling depressed. I love my dishwasher, washer and dryer!
Making a list is a great idea. I try to make a mental list when I lay down at night. I got everything on my list done today.
Your dad gave you a wonderful answer. I know my own daughter had to deal with my depression when she was little. I tried to hide it from her but kids pick up on everything.
Agreed, your dad had an excellent way of explaining depression..to a child or an adult!
C