Depression Community
St. John's Wort and Xanax
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

St. John's Wort and Xanax

I have been taking Xanax for 5 years now, I can't take antidepressants because of the terrible allergic reactions I have had to them in the past twenty years. I was wondering if anyone knows if St. John's Wort works ? And if it does, can it be taken with Xanax ?  Its even more depressing when you know your Depressed and can't take a antidepressant to help because it might kill you. Please let me know if anyone has the answer.
Related Discussions
547573_tn?1234659310
Namaste,

Scientific evidence regarding the effectiveness of St. John's wort for depression is inconsistent. An analysis of the results of 37 clinical trials concluded that St. John's wort may have only minimal beneficial effects on major depression. However, the analysis also found that St. John's wort may benefit people with minor depression; these benefits may be similar to those from standard antidepressants. Overall, St. John's wort appeared to produce fewer side effects than some standard antidepressants.

St. John's wort interacts with certain drugs, and these interactions can limit the effectiveness of some prescription medicines. Although I'm not aware of any particular interaction issues with Xanax that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

If you are considering using St. John's Wort, I highly recommend that you consult with your healthcare provider before you start.

Michael(Jikan)

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Recent Activity
6530778_tn?1411104000
Blank
Irisbritney commented on Irisbritney's status
3 hrs ago
6942344_tn?1410169826
Blank
Amandag78 commented on hi