St. John's Wort with 5-htp
Hello there,

I took St. John's Wort for a long time with good results, but after a few bad events in my life my anxiety shot through the roof. A doctor then prescribed Zoloft, which I took for a few days once I had been off the St. John's for a while. My reaction to it was more than awful, so I stopped. A second opinion suggested I try Paxil instead, but I am somewhat afraid to take it. I have been dealing with a drinking problem, and as I have reduced my intake my depression has gotten a bit better, to the point where I don't think I need prescription meds. To make a long story short, I started taking St. John's again, as I enjoyed it before and it was much less "artificial" and strange feeling than the prescription stuff. I have been having sleeping problems since I am not drinking as much, and have been reading about 5-htp as a possible remedy. So, my question is, is it safe to combine the two? I have read many things saying they are, but others warning of seritonin syndrome. I decided to try the combo last night and didn't experience anything negative, and it indeed did help me sleep. Would it perhaps be reasonable to take 2 St. John's pills instead of 3, and replace the 3rd with a 5-htp? I realize prescription meds take a while to work, but I just don't know if they're the right route for me to take. Thank you for any help!

Marty
for sleep issues... i suggest wearing yourself out.. its alway the best sleep
I suggest you try melatonin supplements for a while. And get lots of sunlight on your skin, that seems to help, with sleep and depression.

And conbining st johns and 5-htp at low doses should be fine. But dont have more than what you recommended above I would have one of each a day (st johns in the morning, 5-htp at night) or serotonin syndrome is a real possibility.
i agree with the above comment try taking melatonin 3 mg, thats what i take and im also on an antidepressant called wellburtin and it seems to work fine with both pills no reaction and i do have restful sleeps