Depression Community
Suggestions for alternatives to Wellbutrin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Here's my history:

I have struggled with depression on and off since my early 20s. About 18 months ago I "gave in" & agreed to try medication.  My MD put me on Wellbutrin XL & I responded well in most areas, but saw an increase in irritability & anxiety.  She then added Zoloft & that eliminated the new symptoms, but I started feeling shaky, lazy & sleepy all the time.  I gained 25 pounds, putting me at my heaviest weight EVER. I wasn't depressed or anxious anymore, but I have ALWAYS been an active athlete & my interest in my favorite activities dwindled.  In May my MD started weaning me off the Zoloft & in October I discontinued its use completely.  I didn't feel like sleeping all the time anymore & my career focus improved, but my irritability, short fuse & anxiety also returned.  My motivation has not returned, my desire to interact much socially with friends has decreased & I still have a lack of interest in activities.

I do not think the Wellbutrin XL is working for me as well anymore & obviously WBXL by itself has never been the solution.  The Zoloft made me lazy, lethargic & fat.  The letargy has affected my weight, my health & my career.

Prozac apprears to target all of my areas of concern & sounds like it's worth a try, but it is in the same family as the Zoloft & I worry about the energy/motivational issues.  It also seems that there is a lot of buzz about Effexor, but there seem to be more reports of negative side effects with this.  

I have an apt with my MD next week, but would like to go in prepared to intelligently discuss options. Advice?

I just read your post about Wellbutrin and it seems I'm suffering the same side effects as you.
I've tried effexor; I was taking Wellbutrin and Effexor together for a quite a while up until a couple months ago. The side effects I experienced from Effexor were pretty bad - non-existant sexual libido, shaking, lethargy - which seem pretty common after reading about other people's experiences with it on forums and talking to my doctor. However I've heard a lot of success stories about effexor as well. It may be worth a try - just watch out for any new side effects and let your doctor know about them asap.

Goodluck. I hope you find something that works.
Alot of my clients have had success with effexor.  As with any drug, there is always a risk for side effect.  That does not mean you will experience all side effects, but it's worth a try.  Prozac is actually still pretty popular as well.  Celexa is a newer antidepressant that seems to popular and doesn't seem to cause the weight gain as much.  Weight gain is actually one of the reasons why some of my clients stop taking certain medications.  Best of luck to you and your doctor should be able to help you out with something.  Try not to get frustrated if the enxt combination of meds don't work for you either....i've had several clients that were on several different medication combos for years or months until they found something that worked for them,
I was on Prozac for about 10 years. It did well for me up until a couple of years ago--I must have started getting immuned to it. I could not take Zoloft. As you said, all I wanted to do was sleep! I am now taking 10 mg. Lexapro. It is going pretty well, but it does make most people gain weight--that is why I reduced my dosage. I tried Wellbutrin--it made me very wired and anxious--so did Cymbalta.
JustHelp123 commented on JustHelp123's status
20 mins ago
Pat1956100 commented on Sonrissa's status
Pat1956100 commented on Pat1956100's status