Suicidal Ideology
My son, 20, is heavily medicated and being treated for schizophrenia. He has had two "diagnosed" psychotic episodes and is currently on approximately 8 different medications. The physiological side effects associated with the meds are astounding. In recent months he has become increasingly apathetic and has spent significant time feeling hopeless and contemplating suicide. Intersting enough several of the medications he is on are known to be the cause of depression and suicidal thoughts. He will not disclose these thoughts to his psychiatrist or his Assertive Community Tretment Team understanding that they will again institutionalize him. I believe he needs to come off of the medication and requires some psychotherapeutic work and strategies to cope with the anxieties and stresses associated with life. Can you provide any insight as to how to withdraw these medications. It is my intention to move him in with me in January and begin alternate treatment and to withdraw these medications.
first get him into therapy before coming off the meds. this really needs to be supervised to taper off
I will keep you and your son in my prayers. while you go through this difficult timeLet me know how things progressf or your son.
Love Venora
I think that you both need to get honest with his team. You are doing him no justice by enabling him to keep up the front. That is why he is there, to get help. There are all kinds of meds, it could be a simple med change that would make a difference in his thinking. He is not in therapy? Therapy in conjunction with meds is proven to be the most effective form of treatment. Good luck to him.
Your sons fears of being locked up should be respected unless you want him to fear talking to you.

Letting him move back in with you is a nice thing to do. When i tried to commit suicide, my family stopped talking to me.  What is the obvious solution? More suicide of course.
There is a Schizophrenic section on Medhelp and the posters may be able to help you on the antiphyscotics medications and give you a understanding of what your son is going thru.  This must be very hard for you.  Please don't forget to take care of yourself.