Depression Community
Switching from Effexor to 5-htp

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Switching from Effexor to 5-htp

I am on 150 mg Effexor XR and have started taking 50 mg 5-htp twice daily as well since the 150 mg Effexor was not completely helping. I have noticed an reduced libido, specially ejaculation poblems. Can 5-htp cause this? I am planning on tapering effexor completely and use 5-htp in the near future. I also take klonopin and buspar. Any suggestions, comments will be really appreciated.
You read all these great things about supplements, but really for serious mental illness they are a dangerous road to go down.

5HTP is not medically proven.

I don't think you can compare the two things.

Effexor is a powerful anti depressant.  5 HTP, well it may give hope to some, but it did nothing for me.
I agree.  They say it has very serious side effects and not to take it until more is known.
Tryptophan is an essential amino acid you can obtain in foods or supplements then it is converted into 5-HTP and then into serotonin (then serotonin is coverted into melatonin). If you don't have an healthy diet i would go with the tryptophan and see what happens. I mean it makes more sense to add the tryptophan than directly move to the 5-HTP since 5-HTP is synthesized naturally.

Best regards,
M4
After you are completely off the Effexor you can add the 5-HTP but still... Tryptophan is where to start. Don't combine 5-HTP and Effexor!!!
Thanks for clarifying to this person not to mix the 5-HTP and Effexor.  Sometimes I feel this isn't impressed on people when it comes to them looking for an alternative.  Great job!

I'm glad I put the 5-HTP down tonight and did not buy it.  I would not have taken it anyway until I asked my doctor.  One thing I would like to get out there as far as Effexor is concerned.  Do not take Mucinex if you are on Effexor.  In 2007 I took it for the first time.  One hour later I'm having a panic attack and I had been controlled for years.  I would love to get on a natural alternative so all of the side effects would go away.

KTowne Little man's name will be W... Comment
A normal heart rate is 60-100 beats...
9 hrs ago by gymdandee
gymdandee commented on Make A Shake That Wil...
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time