Aa
A
A
Close
Switching from St. Johns Wort to Zoloft.
I have been taking St. Johns Wort for depression for about 9 months now, and more recently, valarian root for anxiety. This combo just doesn't seem to be working, at least not for anxiety. I have been a total wreck, unable to eat, heart racing out of my chest, getting dizzy, having shortness of breath, and finally, I had a couple of panic attacks. I went to see a doctor today, and he would like me to try zoloft. When I mentioned whether I should quit st. johns wort for a while before starting he said that "seemed like a good idea." I don't think he really knows much about the herb. My question is, how long should I quit the st. johns wort and valarien before I start on zoloft? Also, what can I expect when I quit st. johns, and start on zoloft. My mother takes zoloft and said it started working in 4 days and she has had no side effects, so I hope I have a similar reaction.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
You should not take St Johns wort while taking Zoloft. This has been told to me by several Psychiartists.

I would give it a few days off the Wort, before introducing the Zoloft.

Zoloft takes about 3 to 6 weeks before it becomes effective. That's simply because SSRI meds like Zoloft take time to build up theraputic levels in the system.

As for side efffects, You can expect to get some, but they should diminish in time. Depends on the person.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
2020005 tn?1476662562
Blank
KTowne commented on photo
22 hrs ago
4769306 tn?1451008167
Blank