Depression Community
The symptoms can stop you getting treatment.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

This is my thought today:
This is the only illness where the symptoms stop a person getting treatment!

People have no energy, feel worthless, apathy, guilt, anxiety.  In this mental state how can a person possibly organise and face going to a psychiatrist? Especially if it is for the first time.  Maybe that they do not even feel like dressing, eating or washing.

Also if the treatment doesn't work these people feel so bad, like they are to blame, wasting the doctors time, that maybe the doctor doesn't like them sees them in a bad light.  they feel their shame and guilt compounding.

Already feeling shame and guilt and dwelling on negative thoughts they have to face the stigma of people finding out or misunderstanding.

And this is all part of the illness, please realise that.  If you didn't have the illness (or perhaps had another physical illness) you would be strong about going to the doctor and getting the treatment you deserve.  So force yourself, get the help of a trusted loved one and get yourself to the Doctor, you deserve it!

You can recover.

peace
  Well I partially agree. Self awareness is a problem with recovery from a psychiatric disability. It can be a part of depression. But I have recovered from schizoaffective disorder and before I even started medication I knew I needed treatment and my family didn't want me to get it as they confused it with the drug addiction of my natural father who had died in 1976. I kept reminding them it wasn't "tranquilizers" or "pills" but medication. Schizophrenia as part of it causes a person to not have a sense of self awareness and many people don't realize they need medication (and that was in 1991 with the old line meds such as Haldol before the atypicals such as Rispedal and Ablify and long before I made a full recovery with the Phase II experimental antipsychotic glycine).
  But as for "stigma". That's society's view of us. As long as we respect the law and society and stay in treatment if people treat us differently its discrimination. Everyone deserves equal treatment. And from the beginning it was a psychiatric disability to me even before I learned of the independent living mindset and the consumer movement. I never liked the terminology or concept "ill" or "sick". And I remember entering the psych. hospital in 1991 and someone who was a college student (I was too then) said "and I never want them to know about it". I thought "and I want them all to know about it". I did presentations in a positive sense about what a psychiatric disability was in classes and yes there were a few snickers but a lot of people learned. And tomorrow I'll be presenting the information about new treatments (to keep up to date google "psychmeds123") in development such as what I am on and pushing for them to be realized as medications and about 30 minutes worth of the kind of ideology I am posting here. But I've presented before psychiatrists as part of testimony and there were average people there too who had children and parents with psychiatric disabilities. And I would present before the public if given a chance as long as long as it would help others, not a "me" thing".
  I agree with you about treatment and the recovery process and its every person's own choice whether to disclose and when but just say "I am a person with a psychiatric disability. I live with it and its part of my life" and then recovery will follow sooner. Don't let society's ignorance define you. And if you ever get the chance even in a small way such as disclosure to a few trusted people who didn't know before, fight this ignorance. Consumer empowerment isn't an easy thing to learn but in changing your mindset about your own disability you can change other people's.  
nursegirl6572 "Patience is the calm accep... Comment
34 mins ago
charlesdee is ... Comment
1 hr ago
KTowne commented on Moma_Cher's status