Depression Community
Topamax and SSRI weight gain

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

Topamax and SSRI weight gain

I would like to know if anyone is or has used Topamax along with a SSRI. Did it help you lose the weigh gained from the SSRI or did it just stop you from gaining more? Or not work at all?

My story. I suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder. I was on on Wellbutrin XL 300mg for 2 years, it worked well for the most part, did not gain any weight but it was ineffective for my anxiety and was not working as much for depression near the end. I started Paxil CR 12.5 mg for 6 months (second time I m trying Paxil), I felt great but 25 lbs crept on and it has made me severely depressed. I am now off Paxil for 1.5 months and my anxiety is coming back, and havent lost any of the weight either. I need to go back on Paxil but need to find a way to battle the weight gain. I have heard combining Wellbutrin can help with maintaining but I have read more success stories with Topamax.
Well have gone to the doc and he has given me a 50 mg 2x daily of Topamax to take with the Paxil CR. I am going to take just the Topamax for a month or so hoping to drop some of the weight gained then start back on the Paxil CR. I will continue to update as I know there are others out there who are in the same boat! p.s. its quiet expensive if you dont have insurance coverage and from other posts the generic versions arent the same.
Yes, please keep me posted how the Topamax works for you. My neuro wants to put me on it for recurring tension headaches and I could certainly use the weight loss side effect lol.  
My dr put me on topomax (topamax) 100 mg, problem is he wants me to.take it twice...once in.the day and at night. My question is it okay to take both doses at night because if I take it at daytime I'm tired and if I.take at night helps me sleep better
Tiss1234 commented on Derealization and Dep...
remar commented on photo
remar commented on photo
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time