Depression Community
WEANING OFF EFFEXOR XR 150MG DID ANYONE ELSE GET EXTREMELY TIRED DURING...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

WEANING OFF EFFEXOR XR 150MG DID ANYONE ELSE GET EXTREMELY TIRED DURING?

I ALMOST FELT SEDATED IT IS DAY 5 OR 6 GOING OFF THE EFFEXOR XR I DID IT COLD TURKEY THOUGH.  I CALLED MY DOC TODAY, I AM STARTED A GRADUAL TAPPERING OFF THOUGH MY HEAD KEEPS DOING THAT ZAPPING THING THOUGH.
I have a question are you gradually lowering your effexor or did you stop taking it altogether? I will say that effexor is a drug that has extremely bad withdraw symptoms and should never be stopped cold turkey, My friend was on effexor and experienced extreme tiredness and a lot of muscle pain. She lowered her dose 37.5mg  a week until she was off. She also said that she felt like she had no motivation and she also felt like things were out of control. She is now on cymbalta and is doing well. Please please see your doctor so that the both of you can figure out what is the best course of action for you. by the way, why are you wanting to get off the effexor, do you have a plan or med that you are planing on changing to.
Please let me know wnat the doctor says and best wishes
Christy
Please get help with tapering off of Effexor slowly and down to the lowest dose you can possibly take.  I am getting off of it my second time and can't believe that this drug is still out there.  I found in incredible website for which I saw an ad on this site - labelmesane.com.  These people will help you tremendously and work with you and your doctor.  This time I only reduced down to 75 mg and have had unbelievable crying spells, dizziness, forgetfulness, anger, loss of patience and just feeling weird!!  After 10+ years of being on various medications for depression, I have come to realize that I am best without them.  Just remember that you may have symptoms that aren't on the "withdrawal" list but they are real to you!!  There is hope and there is an easier way.  Good luck to you.  
You need to come off it slowly, but you can definitely still have those withdrawal symptoms.  Just don't stop taking it altogether...With any of these antidepressants it's best to get off them slowly.

I hated Effexor XR...it was the worse thing ever for me...Stick with the taper though and you'll be fine.
Every time I get to the extreme motivation point, I am convinced that I don't need Effexor xr anymore. Considering it was only prescribed two years ago for post pardom depression. Walking around as a parents poster child for The dream child, I have disappointed the world with my suffering.
I get so convinced that I can do it, I can stop taking it completely and I am stronger than anything.
Trust me , it is just a reminder of the the massive breakdown that I suffered when I refused to believe that I had depression to begin with. For some reason , I am learning again that when it comes to mind over matter, It is my mind that does matter, and I need help when trying to get off this incredibly strong medication.
So please don't follow my example and get the doctor to help you( whom you absolutely hate to go see because it reminds you that there is a problem)
Just take in a deep breath and get help closing this chapter in your life.
Good Luck and remember I'm a 30 year old know it all who is still learning :)
I stoped taking effexor 150mg wich i have been on for 3 yrs.  I ran out last wednesday and i decided it was time to quite.  so i did cold turkey.
It has been 5 days and yes I have the ringing in my head and I swear i can hear my eyeballs moving, i have been having nightmares and now a little diareha.  but i have to deal with it because i have three young kids i do home schooling and day care.  not to mention i have to through a birthday party together for this friday.  how long does the dizzy and diarha last?
  and yes now i feel like a flake, dont have a conversation with me because i will only pick up half of it.

all in all i better get my sex drive back!

no drive
I had gotten extremely depressed close to 5 weeks ago, although i have been on Paxil for many years. My Dr. suggested that i change my meds to Effexor & put me on a dose of 150 mg. Within a few days, the side effects took over. Nervousness, fatigue, headache, diarheah, sweating....the list is endless. I am now being weaned off of it & the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms are like living in hell. My heart is pounding & the rate has increased. I am unable to leave my house b/c of extreme anxiety & feeling panicky. (I have never had any type of panic problems in my whole life!) I've had bouts of crying uncontrollably, can't think straight & am very agitated. I cannot return to work in this condition & can barely function at home. I've seen my DR about this & he won't give me sick leave. Time to change my Dr. i guess! Anyhow, bottom line is that i would NEVER recommend this drug to anyone. My condition is far worse than it was before i was put on Effexor. It has been one of the worst experiences of my life!
My goodness aren't there a lot of us coming off antidepressants.  I started last Thursday to decrease my dose. So far the only effect has been more energy and a new lease on life.  I was a zombie and when I found myself in a fog driving I decided that something was wrong. Thank goodness I found a doctor who listened to me. I am going to be off the Effexor by Xmas.  The buzzing in the head is really worriesome and 'generalized anxious disorder' which I was diagnosed with last year may be a factor but I have decided that exercise might be the answer.  I have always stayed away from exercise which hasn't been to my benefit but I think exercise is better than drugs.  I used to work for the Physed Dept. in Calgary and it sure didn't get through to me.  There were posters in the office TRY SPORTS NOT DRUGS!!!!!!! The other secretary and I sat there typing and smoking.  I can't believe I am telling you this.  I sure don't smoke anymore.  I eat and that isn't the answer!!!!
Mary Ann
I am weaning my wife off of effexor, you can't stop at 150mg! You need to go to 75mg for 2 weeks, then 37.5 for 2weeks, then start weaning down from there for at least a month..It's been a Nightmare, but I got the formula down, splitting capsules etc..She has totally lost her sex drive too,I'm hoping it comes back soon!  Taking 10 mg of Prozac is also a way to stop the side effects, you can stop taking it at the same time in the end...She is now on 15mg of effexor and  going down to 10mg tomorrow...Let me know if I can help...99% of all the doctors don't know ****.
Reno
***@****
I AGREE RENO! You have to be CRAZY to go 'cold turkey' off 150 mg of Effexor!! I am doing it in increments & am suffering like mad! (Mind you, i'm not doing it as gradually as your wife, which i should have done.) I am very concerned for 'no drive'. This is serious business. Effexor is an evil, evil drug in my opinion! Hope she gets back to us to let us know what state she is in.
How is your wife coping??

Bailey
My daughter has been on effexor for 4 yrs.The doctor has been weaning her off.She had terrible withdrawals the last time they tried at 37.5mg. and did again this a.m. going down to 17mg. She immediately acquired a migraine, constant vomiting, also felt like she was having a sugar attack, extreme shaking all over her body and could not function. Her doctor will not see her until next wednesday. she went to the ER and they gave her ativan, for anxiety, told her to go back to 35.5 mg. again., gave her pain pills, nausea pills. She just started a new job. What can she safely take while attempting to go off this terrible drug?? She has fibromyalgia too. Does anyone know what she could do to obtain help.
I was on effexor for a little over a month. I was using it to treat anxiety and depression, my family doctor gave me some samples and said try this, so I did. The first couple days on it I was extremly tired constantly yawning.  Then I moved up to 75mg and basically had the same effects, but really had no motivation and basically slept, which is kind of ironic since when Im depressed I kind of sleep through out the day and feel sorry for myself anyway. I consulted with my physician who told me to wean myself off of the drug and then consider taking wellbutrin. So i finished out the week with 75mg then the next week i jumped down to 35.7 and then I started taking them every other day and then finally stopped after a week of doing that. I thought I would have been fine, but was I wrong. I felt extreme dizziness and nausea nad have been feeling this way for about a week. I decided that It would eventually pass, I consulted with my doctor and he said it may last for 10 days, thanks doc for telling me that! Ive decided, I rather not medicate myself, I rather feel depressed 4 days out of 5 then feel dizzy all the time and not be able to function.  
I FEEL FOR YOU FOLKS THAT ARE HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING OFF THIS DRUG. I THINK MANY LAZY PAPER PUSHING HMO DOCS JUST KEEP US ON THESE DRUGS TO MAKE THEIR LIVES EASIER. I HAVE NOW BEEN OFF EFFEXOR FOR 2 WEEKS AND NOW FEEL MUCH BETTER AFTER SOME ROUGH TIMES WITH THE "BRAIN BOUNCE" AND OTHER NASTY SIDE EFFECTS. IT HASN'T BEEN FUN BUT NOW IT'S WORTH IT TO FEEL SOME NORMAL EMOTIONS AGAIN . MAYBE SOME PTS. SHOULDN'T FEEL SOME EMOTIONS AND FEELINGS THEY HAVE BUT IT WAS REALL Y HOLDING ME BACK. INEVER EVEN CREID OR GRIEVED FOR MY MOTHER'S DEATH 3 YEARS AGO AND THAT WASN'T  NORMAL. I CRIED FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE SHE DIED YESTERDAY AND MAYBE NOW I CAN GO ON WITH MY LIFE AS SHE WAS THE PERSON I LOVED THE MOST IN THE WORLD. IT'S NOT ALWAYS FUN BUT AT LEAST IT'S REAL AND BETTER FOR ME. ALL THE BEST
I weaned myself off due to insurance/financial issues, but I had been wanting to get off of them anyway (Effexor). I was on 150 mg. and would skip a day, then two days, etc. which is not the best looking back but at least I didn't stop cold turkey.My biggest side affect is extreme fatigue, and digestive irritability; I kinda feel like I ate something that didn't agree with my stomach, but all the time. I am doing a lot of research as to what kind of foods to eat that will help with this transition and I work with a holistic chiropractor to see what supplements will help as well ( will post this later). I am having very vivid dreams and it is difficult for me to wake up in the morning. I am glad that I don't have too many psychological symptoms, other than being frustrated that I feel so crappy right now. If this is as bad as it gets then I can deal with it (for a little while at least). I suggest exercise, as it is a mood buster, leaning on friends, and if you are spiritual, pray alot because you will get through this!
I didnt get really sleepy, but i did get very dizzy and nauseous
I was taking 150 mg's of effexor and went down to 75 every other day. I was taking it for hot flashes. It helped somewhat, as long as I didn't eat alot of white sugar. I felt so mean and teary
eyed and my stomach was upset and kinda of crampy. I have colotis so that wasn't so good. I went ahead and stopped all together. Does anyone know how long these side affects last?
I am in the process of weaning off the effexor but mine is 75.5 mg and the doc put me on 37.5 and i am done with this dose but oh my i am having the dizziness and the light head and very moody, crying more, nightmares, sweating, and tiredness, oh and yelling more and i hate that i dont like to yell, seems like these things will never go away, and the other person is right the sex drive is way back. This is strange what these meds do to our bodies, but i would like to know how soon this will all be done because i am at the point i may get back on something but i dont want to because i cant lose weight with these meds i get fatter.
Oh and i forgot also to that i never cried either when i was on this medication, it makes all your emotions gone, but please i just want to never take this stuff again so i need someone to tell me how long this will go on with the these side affects.
Hi, I had been taking effexor 75 mg a day for approx. 6 months. My husband I argued about whether or not it was having any beneficialv effects or not. I  felt as though things were not too bad,however there were side effects, like bouncing my knee up and down if I sat for any lenght of time, teeth clenching, snapping at people especially the little ones ( I have 3 kids). And the real kicker, coming from someone who has never had a blemish, not even during, puberty, I started to develope massive ammounts of pimples around my mouth and chin,Effexor made me sweat , ALOT, during the heat of the summer, basically any physical activity be it dishwashing or tying my shoes,created a virtual waterfall on my face, this then caused my huge , scarred, infected mounds of pimples yuck! Well as of Thursday (this is 5 days ago now) my husband refused to refill my prescription saying that I need to get off of this drug. Although his move was very agrivating to me Ialso thought maybe this wasn't the right thing for me. So now we are at day 5 and I feel like a complete loony tune. The electric pulse feeling when I move my head around is so disorientating. I need to hold onto the wall to steady myself when walking around, I have absolutley zero patients for my kids , I have diarhia, nausea,inability to concentrate(ergo housebound, unable to drive), I am rocking and shaking and having muscle cramps and tremors in my limbs and extremities.My mouth is dry,my emotions are completely out of wack (watching my dogs play makes me cry!!) I am sweating alot, again, yeah!! I can't talk properly either, the words I want to say sound nothing like the garble coming out of my mouth or I mix all the words up. I am really glad to have found a forum withothers describing similar symtoms (symptoms),(my husband says its all in my head) so I know I am not creating some weird melodramatic  mood myself. O just a small note about libido, this drug did not interfer with that, in fact I think my libido went off the chart when on this med.Anyhow at this point I need to know how long these horrid withdrawal systems will last. I need to get back to life. Thanks to you all!
When splitting the Effexor xr what do you put the dose in?  I asked at a pharmacy if I could do this and the pharmacist said that she could not advise such a thing.  She mentioned that the xr referred to the control release of the drug and splitting capsules would not guarantee the correct amount of the little balls per dose.  She also mentioned that the capsule itself might have some type of determination in how the medication was dispersed.  
I have had success on effexor XR.  I went on it a year ago.  Man I needed it.  I was in the middle of the biggest crisis of my life.  I had a successful business that was paying the bills and was doing good, then all of the sudden within 4 months, my business turned upside down, I was kind of forced to sell and was left $500,000 in debt.  I was a little stressed and obviously I needed something to get thru.  I have never been a person who needed help with anything.  I don’t get colds, I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything.  But one day, I decided to just go home and get drunk.  As a 40 year old, I have never ever did that.  I called my mom and told her that I did this and that I needed help to cope with my situation.  She told me to go see a doctor.  He prescribed Effexor XR.  He started me on the starter pack that slowly ramped me up to 75MG.  Wow what a difference.  Within a few weeks, I was able to cope and take control of my situation.  Like I said, I needed it.  The wildest thing in reading all the posts is I had an opposite reaction.  I couldn’t eat or couldn’t drink.  I actually made sure I had a yogurt for lunch and a bowl of soup for dinner.  If I went out with friends, I needed to force myself to drink a beer.  I had no desire, what so ever to eat or drink for at least 60 days. I lost 40 lbs in 100 days.

Sex was weird.  The medication made me numb emotionally as well as physically.  If I had a spouse that wanted staying power, MAN I WAS THE GUY!!!  I could perform but couldn’t complete the job.  I was desensitized. This lasted for at least 6 months.

I will say that during the first 6 months I went from being an emotional guy to being a guy who was “present”.  I follow my kids sports.  I found myself sitting and watching the game instead of watching and cheering.  This was something I didn’t like.

Something I really did like was the fact that I was able to focus more on my job.  I am a little scatterbrained.  I like to say that I am a pinball in a pinball machine.  That describes my day.  The medication helped me with that.

My history with the meds is, I went from the intro pack to 37.5 mg. to 75 mg up to 150 mg. over 6 months.  I only went to 150 because I wanted to continue my weight loss when I thought I hit a plateau. (and I did)

I did drop back to 75 mg without much of a problem.  No brain sparks or anything like that.  The only time I had a huge issue is once when I traveled.  I took a day trip from Detroit to Phoenix.  I packed 1 pill incase of problems.  WELL,,, there were problems. It took me 4 days to get home.  I was literally stranded in the airport for 4 days.  As you know, 24 hours after taking your last pill, weird things start to happen.  Especially the brain sparks.  I sat in the airport trying to find a flight for 3 days and I was an emotional wreck.  I cried in the corner, I yelled at people, I felt TERRIBLY OUT OF CONTROL. It was absolutely awful.

I continued on at 75MG for a while and decided I was ready to discontinue. I dropped to 37.5.  The wild thing is on the lower doses, if I missed a dose or was 3-6 hours late on a dose it was HELL!!!  Way worse than when I was on 150 and missed or was late on a dose.

I read all the blogs and stuff and decided not to go cold turkey.  I took my last 5 pills and broke them up.  I started lowering my granules.  I went from 25 to 20 to 15 to 12 to 10 to 8, etc.  The finally decided to plan to go cold turkey on the weekend.  It ended up I took 8 granules on Friday morning.  My brain sparks were out of control Saturday Afternoon.  I took 2 granules Saturday afternoon to help.  This was on November 10th.  The sparks stopped.  They came back on Sunday, but not as bad.  They continued every single day but they have been tolerable.  I am sitting here on November 19, 2007 and can tell you, that they do continue but are diminished.  They are worse in the afternoon.

I realize that I am more emotional.  I cry more, I yell more, I am more alive.  I have to still determine if this is a good thing or bad thing.  I think right now, it is a good thing.  I feel alive for the first time in a long time.  If things change, I will let you know.
Weaning off Effexor XR and Xanax !!!!I  I had been on anti depressants for the last 8 years.  I have been taking Xanax for 8 years to help me sleep, in combination with Effexor XR for the last 3 years.  My Psychiatrist told me I would be on these medicatios the rest of my life, I needed them to help me through all of the aniexty issue I had gong on.  (Too numerous to go into. ) Anyhow, I went off both the Xanax and Effexor.  Fist the Xanax, tapering it down until I took none over a 2 week period,  then the Effexor,  I tapered the Effexor from 187 mg. per day down to half of one of the 37.5 time realesd capsule once per day.  I started counting out the granules to further reduce the dose, and got tired of it, and  then just stopped taking it.  I did all of this over a 2 week period.  I started taking Chinese Mood elevator during this 2 week period. Once completely off the Effexor, I continued with the Chinese Mood Elevator, added HTP-5, and Same-E. along with lots of water, to flush the **** out of my system faster ,multi vitamins and exercise 5 times a week.  I had 2 very bad weeks with no sleep, night sweats, nightmares, crying a lot, no concentration, zapping in my head, almost like a humingbird flying by at 100 miles an hour,    weird !!!!  vertigo, and being just mean. I continued to go to work, babysit my grand children, run a business, and just get through it.  I did, and am feeling, yes finally feeling a whole lot betterI am a widow, have been for the last 8 years,  I am running in a half Marathon next week, and am 60years old.  People, take control of yourselves and your own helath and lives,  get off of these anti-depressants now., they are killing us.  It is difficult, but not that difficult.  Be tough and just do it.  

JA in Ohio
for depression I used  300mg effexor xr since 2000 plus xanax to sleep. in 2006 was robbed and 60 celexa was added. between those years I now know that I was emotionally and physically NUMBED. Which I guess is what this medicine is all about.  I DO RESENT this tho. I lost my job, I am in a divorce, My emotions are out of wack
right after starting effexor, my blood pressure went up so I was given medicine for that, (Not knowing it was the effexor) then my cholostral went high, (given medicine for that) lately now my blood sugar is high
(not knowing its the effexor) so in December of 2007 my new doctor decided to change me and wean me off of effexor and to take celexa only. OH MY GOLLY.  the first week, while driving I had a brain freez and almost had a wreck, but was able to pull over and stop until brain worked again. then I was so dizzy at times, that I actually fell on my head and knocked myself out.  my body was soo very sore, for I am not a young woman. The side effects or so long and I had them during the use of effexor as well as since going off.  they do not stop for me.
while on effexor I just thought WOW  just think what it would be like if you were not on medicine.  I googled    petitiononline/effexor  and signed in and daily read others comments just to validate myself.  I am not crazy, its true.  here it is almost April, and i forgot to say that mid January it all was so awful that I decide to stop all medicine and just cold turkey.  I could not take another day thinking about another pill.
I am mentally up and down hourly but at least I have emotions
I have been taking Effexor for about 10 years at 300mg's a day. I started at 75mg but was getting brain zaps. Everybody thought I was pulling there leg. Until my dose was increased up 300mg. I suffered for 2 years from night sweats to mood swings and the inability to think straight or to properly articulate a conversation as I would either get lost or my words would be blocked in my head. My life even though it was horrible while being chronically depressed was a nightmare while I got use to Effexor. I suffered horrible leg cramps and nightmares. Now I am diagnosed with Diabetes which I suspect is related to Effexor as well as no matter what I take as Diabete's medication it seems to never control my diabetes. I hate the extreme tiredness, I notice it more on weekends (which is very strange) I am so tied that I could cry and literal need to sleep - not sure if this is effexor or diabetes. I am over feeling this way. I am separated because of my illness and just want to now be a good dad to my 7 year old son. But can't because I am so tired. Please help - I need medical evidents that proves to my doctor that I am experiencing side effects from effexor. I need peace and my health back.
i think you are probably having tiredness from the effexor, their were times when i could barely walk when i was taking this drug. my blood pressure went up, my cholesterol went up and i was so very tired. once i quit taking it those problems went away. i would'nt be surprised if it caused the diabetes. alot of people on this site hate effexor. maybe you should think about getting off of it. remar
I was on Effexor for years and decided to wean off. I was up to 150mg. My doc had me go down to 75mg for a month, then down to 37.5 for a month. Tomorrow is my first day without any Effexor at all. I'll let y'all know how I do. So far, the weaning process has been working without any obvious side effects... knock on wood ;*D

I was on 225mg of Effexor XR for 6 months and recently switched to Wellbutrin.  I got off the Effexor in about 5 days, just taking 75 mg less every day, 75 for 2 days and 37.5 for one.  I also take Abilify 5mg.  I had very minimal withdrawl (withdrawal), with slight brain zaps every now and then, similar to when I got off Lexapro.  But I did not experience any of the horror stories Ive been reading about.  Maybe its the other meds that helped.  Good luck to all!    
Effexor XR is too expensive! I heard Prozac helps with the withdrawal symptoms.
Wow, when I wrote that last post I was taking 37.5, and then none the next day.  It was the worst I have ever felt.  I got flu like symptoms and the worst brain zaps I have ever had.  I felt like fireworks were going off in my head when I closed my eyes.  I guess I spoke too soon.  I am taking vitamins b6 and b12, and also 5-htp which have really quelled the zaps.  I can't believe how bad it was from 35.7 to 0.  Next time I will think before I post.  
Taking Effexor XR is miserable.  Getting off of it is worse.  It took me two months to rid myself of withdrawal symptoms, but it's worth it.

Stick with it.  It'll be over soon (and fire your doctor, anyone who prescribes that stuff shouldn't even be allowed to practice medicine)
I began taking Effexor about 7 years ago to help me with irritability.  And it worked very well for me, providing me with the time needed to develop more robust coping strategies.

I have learned to practice mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) through Jon Kabat-Zinn's program.  I have been able to manage my reactions and to live a more balanced and accepting life.  

This past month I have weaned myself off Effexor.  There have been some adverse reactions (swings in emotions, "zaps" when I move my eyes - anyone know fro sure what those are?, tiredness and lack of motivation.  I'm confident that I'll weather these things and that new coping skills will help me to lead a happier and more contented life.  
DO NOT OPEN THE CAPSULES! This will negate the effect of the drug!!! It will be almost like going cold turkey. I am currently taking 37.5 mg every 15 days...I am going through horrible side effects of weaning as I write this (which is why I can't sleep and found this forum). Heart beat issues, head zaps, anxiety, sweating, irritation, digestion probs, body shocks ETC ETC!!! It's hell, people. Sheer hell. But I think I will beat this. Just please, don't open the capsules. Your time will be a waste. I did, and had to start over. PS: if you take a couple benadryls before trying to go to bed, it helps...I am going to take a few tonight. LOts of love to you all.
my name is daniel, i am 17 years old, and currently completing my year 12 and i have been prescribed Effexor XR 150mg by a doctor and i have been hit with extreme side effects, for eg. but not limited to; nausia, irritablity, unability to concentrate, suicidal thoughts and feelings. needless to say my work has slipped drastically and now instead of graduating with my year 12 class i am going to graduate mid year 2010, that is if i get at all better. i want to get off this stuff but when i told the doctor about my side effects at the start of the treatment he simply said your getting the side effects because its not the right dosage then went on to prescribe the 150mg dose as opposed to the 75 that i started on. i have been on this now for a period of four to five weeks including the 75mg dose and i haven't been feeling at all better. the depression i had before i started this medication was nothing compared to the depression i have gotten 4 weeks after. also i feel as if im starting to develop anxiety. my shrink has told me just hold out with the treatment and all will be better within another 2-3 weeks and the side effects should subside.... What do i do?? has anyone else experienced what im going through? (i mean concerning the doctors, not so much the side effects)
OH MY........
My dose of effexor is huge! I am on 300mg at night.
anyone else on this dose?
I want off this medication. its not helping my depression at all. I have been on it now for 5 years.
I am back at the point where all i want to do is sleep and forget the world, although i have severe problems sleeping.. any advice?

Rochelle
I am on my 2nd night coming off (cold turkey) from150mg of Effexor XR which I have been on for 2 years. I was told by doctors I would never come off the drug, must admit I thought they were fantastic until recently, having suffered from hives, redness from my chest upwards and itchy skin etc for the last 8 months or more and putting it down to going through menopause then having a blood test last week and finding out my hormones were fine and being up most of the night 1 night last week feeling like i could rip my skin to bits with the itching I HAD ENOUGH.  Like said 2nd night and OMG the nightmares are like nothing I have ever experienced plus having to get in the shower at 2:30am as I felt like i was getting out of a bath not my bed being in a pool of sweat.  I am a personal assistant with a typing speed of 95wpm and fantastic grammer, that has gone out of the window at present god knows how long it has taken me to type this and its as though my fingers and eyes are moving and the words are coming out in slow motion. I am lucky I have a very supportive husband and family but can anyone tell me if the worst will be over in 5, 6, 7....etc days so I at least have some idea.
I am sure like some of you I tried to contact my doctor at the hos to ask for there help, I was a severe suicide attempt 5 days in ICU 2 years ago hence being on the Effexor and being told it was for life but the response I got was now I do not live in the caption area anymore I have to go to my GP get a referral to another hospital, I am sure some of you know what I am getting to.  By the time I could have done all this and waited, what 2,3 or more months before seeing someone and them having to know my case 1st I could of ended up back in the hospital and gone crazy with no skin in a worst position, so I have to do this cold turkey even though I tried to do the right thing by calling the doctor first and being turned away even when I told them my intentions.  Sorry if I do not make much sense but my god it is so hard typing this at the moment.
I would love to hear from anyone experiencing the same at present.
Thank you
I want to start by adding my 2 cents to "Whodunnit" Bull crap people are blowing these side effects out of the water!! They ARE as bad as what these people are saying! Effexor ruined the last 6 months of my life. I forgot everything!!!!! I was in the car driving and my mind just went blank like I forgot how to drive or something. I get cold sweats, horrible brain electric like feeling zaps, my sentences are so unstructured, I'm exhausted, my legs hurt, my heart pounds, I can't sleep, I can't eat which makes it hard to take Effexor EVERYDAY because I had to take it on a full stomach. Kinda hard to get a full stomach on Effexor. I cann't even type all that happeded, it was pure hell. The shaking was awful too. Did not effect my sex drive tho. SNRI's seem to not effect that, SSRI's however, killed my sex drive.HERE's the catcher!! I'm not even weaning yet!! I have all these side effects PRIOR to weaning. I take my pills late and this is what happens. I'm only on 75mg and today is my first day weaning. I have the pressed pill, not capsule. I will shave a bit off the pill gradually, I'll post as i continue to wean off this awful drug.
Today is day 3. I was on 300mg (2 150mg tabs daily) Last Wed I called for a refill, no luck with it before the weekend. Last 150mg pill was last Sat morn.

Cold turkey since.

Sat wasnt bad, eve ok had a hard time sleeping.

Sun night was bad with the brain whizzes, feeling out of sorta & little stomach upset.

Mon day was ok, some anger for no reason, late afternoon munchies for Mexican & that night was horrible.. brain whizzes, nausea & vomiting, sweats chills bad bad night. Up all night, able to eat a light meal before bed in the am..not much nausau & no vomiting.

Tues slept till the afternoon, wokeup alright. Able to eat very little vomiting. Night, feel out of sorts, some nausea, headache & brain whizzes.

Hope day 4 is better as it seems the worst may be over???? Marijuana has helped alot, smoking & using a mj cream to the temples..Not saying its a miracle, it helps more at times & seems less at others.. Day 7
After being on Effexor for 10 years after my father died. I so wish I tried ANY other drug. I recently went on Zyban to quit smoking and I experienced extreme troubles breathing which I found out was an allergy reaction to Zyban so I went off the Zyban after 4 days. My pharmacy was closed for a long weekend so I went off the Zyban and Effexor cold turkey. Pharmacist highly recomended I immediately see my doctor to wean off. My doc gave me the perscriptions to wean off very slowly. I was so exhausted and agitated from the weaning that I recently went cold turkey again. I was so excited. I have loads of energy, emotional balance instead of being so unemotinal and can feel my libido returning. EXCEPT its day 4 and I have nightmares every night. Theres no way I can go back to work on the 3 or 4 hours of sleep I do get. Its like Im half asleep and I can hear people in my house or I think Im talking to my son and hes in his room asleep.I dream that other members of my extended family are living right outside my door and they argue and walk around like its the middle of the day and its 230 am now and Im typing this because Im desperatre. The buzzing in my head and dizziness that comes and goes I can handle, this I cannot. Last night I had nightmares about my house being full to the capacity with so much stuff I could not get out of my room and tried to scream but nothing came out. It was so realistic I kept reflecting on it all during my busy day today praying it never happens again. But here I am. Any suggestions? I also have fibromyalgia and restless leg syndrome, just moved to a new little town and really anxious to move forward.
Crikey!
Five years and this forum is still going! Shows what a wonderful drug we're on, or trying to get off. Here in Australia it seems venlafaxine is the latest fad with trick-cyclists, and while it may have a few successes, as we see here, the drug is just too dirty for human consumption. I have not had caffeine jitters for years, but coming off Effexor (TM) is so much like those speedy times of my youth, before I became a seasoned espresso drinker, when too many Nescafes would set my heart a-racing. Anyhow, over time coming off this horrid drug has simply got worse, and I hate to think what's in store for what is said to be the worst stage, the last 75mg.

What can a bloke say...Crikey!
I to have had my dosage adjusted from 150mg to 75mg. Yesterday was my first day, and I felt uneasy. I was weepy, having brain zaps and very tired, I feel like I haven't been to sleep yet!
Your story sounds very inspiring, I just hope it goes as smoothly for me as well, all these feeling of uncertainty, is very upsetting.
I was taking 225 mgs of Effexor XR for Hot Flashes due to Breast Cancer. I wish I had never taken it. If I missed one dose of it, I was extremely sick. It has cause me to gain weight, also. I started weaning off of it. I reduced by 75 mgs every two week and lowest dose being 37.5. I had headaches, dizzy& brain zaps, which I could handle. But when it came to stopping after 37.5 Mgs, it was like get the flu within 12 hrs from stopping the last dose. I was so sick, I had to take another dose of 37.5 mgs. I read on E-How to have your doctor give you a prescription for Effexor Immeditate release because there is a varity of MGS. My doctor thought that was a great Idea. I took 25 mgs and was fine. I felt great. So I am now reducing the 25 mgs. I would highly recommend this method. I am having NO withdrawal symptoms. I hope this help everyone and Good Luck. I will never take this horrible medication again.
Hi Ganz, finally... You're the first post I've seen for chemo-induced menopause, I'm guessing?, and being prescribed Effexor for the hot flashes?
I have been on Effexor for 8 months and have been trying to wean off for a couple months now. I did not realize night sweats were withdrawal symptoms and thought I was weaning off too fast. The doc insists that I do the  37.5 every other day, but when I miss one day, I feel like I have chronic car sickness and dizziness for 48 hrs. What a roller coaster for my body, and that just isn't working for me. I am trying to take out a couple granules from the capsules every day, and I'm doing alright so far. What a crazy medicine. I just hate it. And now I know what the chronic insomnia and lack of libido is from. Ug. So ready to be done!!
By the way, Ganz, prayers and positive energy for healing from the breast cancer.
J
I am a nurse. I started taking Effexor XR
150mg daily. I have GAD(general anxiety disorder  disorder. I've been through a divorce & lost my home & my car. I have 2 teenagers. I started out on Wellbutrin XL. After 2 years I couldn't tell it was helping me at all. So Dr. prescribed Effexor. I loved it but I prefer to not have to take a medication everyday. I have tried to quit it. Even after 36 hoursi can feel dizziness, diarrhea, a swooshing sound when I move my eyes from side to side. I have absolutely no motivation. The only side effect that I luckily didnt experience was it increased my sex drive. I want to wheen myself off but so far it has been unsuccessful.  I don't like taking Xanax or Valium either. If anyone has any ideas, please help me.
My doctor is weaning me off Effexor XR 300 mg.  This was a 5 week process.  I didn't really notice any symptoms until last week, my first week off of it totally.  I cried uncontrollably and felt as if I was having hot flashes occasionnaly.  Wellbutrin XL didn't work for me and Cymbalta gave me horrible nightmares.  But I couldn't tell if the Effexor was making a difference anymore,thus the weaning off.  

But I'm diabetic and now my blood sugar is running really high, even though my diet is OK.  During last week, my brother-in-law also passed away and I drove to 15 hrs to support my sister througout all this, then drove 15 hours back home 8 days later (day before yesterday)  So I don't know if the high blood sugar is from coming off the Effexor, or all the  physical and emotional stress of the last week, or all of it.  And my doctor can't see me until next week

Has anyone else gone through anything like this with the hgh blood sugar and/or hot flashes after coming off this RX?
Never thought if Effexor XR as an evil drug like so many. I've been weaning off my 150mg a day prescription. I'm now down to the last of it @ 37.5 mg a day and this has been the most difficult time. Feeling agitation, occasional depression, "watery brain" feeling,etc.  I'd been on 150mg/day for about 10 years and haven't read anyone being on it more than 4 years or so max? This is not an easy task and people need to understand us who are trying to better ourselves but don't want to rely on drugs. It's not easy!
I am a nurse who is currently trying to titrate off of Effexor.  I am very concerned about you trying to go off of this med cold turkey from 150mg without the support of an MD.  I would strongly suggest that you make an emergency appt with your doctor or go to the ER.  With your suicide attempt history, you may need to try a different avenue.  My best to you.
Catlover2503 Anxiety was awful today :((((( Comment
Heather8448 Happy Thanksgiving Comment
gymdandee commented on Dietary Fat Increases...