Depression Community
Weaning off Depression Meds

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Weaning off Depression Meds

Ok, so I would like to know if anyone could give me some advice. My insurance has changed and because of this i cannot afford to see my doctor anymore nor can i afford the lexapro 10mg drug i am taking. I am only allowed generics. I saw my shrink today but i was to scared to ask how to wean off the medication because i really didnt want to listen to her try and keep me there by working out payment plans and switching my medication to a generic. I have only been on lexapro for about 5 months i take 1   10mg pill every morning. I have 30 pills left. Any advise?

Thanks!
Avatar n tn
I think you should call your psych. This is a really common problem. Most insurance companies won't pay for Lexapro unless you try Celexa first. If Celexa (the sister drug to Lexapro) doesn't work for you, your Dr can petition the insurance company to allow you to take it.

The other thing your psych can offer you is free samples. You WOULD NOT BELIEVE the number of samples they have. My neurologist brought me to the sample room once and it was thousands of boxes floor to ceiling. I really wish I could have taken a picture.  They really don't mind giving them away. You don't have to stay on it, but Lexapro and Celexa are kind of tough to come off of. You need to gradually decrease to avoid "withdrawal" type effects. He or she could at least give you enough to make going off of it more comfortable.

Most Drs won't get mad at you for not liking your medication or not being able to buy it. They'll work with you to come up with a reasonable plan that works for you. I know when I'm depressed though I'm always scared they're going to yell at me or something. Odd. They never do.

Oh - and I have just called before and left a message for my provider. They left me a paper bag full of samples at the front desk and didn't even charge me for an appointment. They'll work with you. They're used to this stuff.
Belle313 See journal for 5/24/16 Comment
15 mins ago
Best Multivitamins for Men
3 hrs ago by gymdandee
KTowne commented on photo
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time