Depression Community
Weaning off Seroquel-Topomax

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Weaning off Seroquel-Topomax

How can I safely-effectively wean myself off of Seroquel especially and at a later date topomax (topamax).  I have put on 25 lbs. over 10 years and the Seroquel knocks me out at night and I feel groggy the next morning.  200 mg at night.  I've lowered it to 100 mg each night this past week.  I hope to do this for one month and see how it goes.  My husband and I both dispute the bi-polar diagnosis of 10 years ago; not out of denial (as we are both very educated) but because of the symptoms.  I was going through a bad depressive time.  Many people do.  I was put on so much medication I was like a zombie.  I was put on lithium and bloodwork was not done regularly and only because of my insistance, it got done and my kidneys were troubled.  Off of that and I am now on the above.  I went through 7 months of unknown hives/welts, swelling, breathing difficulties last year - saw every specialist imaginable and no allergies - thyroid under (which has been for years) - Hashimoto's and angio-edema.  Was put on plaquenil which was horrible and then methotrexate (toxic) - I stopped all of it because I knew it was poison.  After 2 months - everything disappeared and I have had nothing come back.  I think the medication was causing problems.  HELP!!!!!  Thank you!  Chickpea
It will be better if you can compel your Pdoc to taper Seroquel for you telling him/her that this medicine does not suit you.I did the same as Risperdal was not suiting me and giving me lousy side effects and it has been tapered and stopped over 4-6 weeks.I will stop it tomorrow.Similarly this seroquel will needed to be tapered and stopped over 4-6 weeks by your Pdoc.Best of luck.
One more thing please taper and stop only one medication at a time as inspite of the proper tapering you may still encounter some withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms like anxiety and insomnia.First taper and stop Seroquel and only then proceed to taper and stop the next medication.
Thank you very much for your advice.  It sounds very positive and I will do so and let you know how it is going during the 4-6 weeks.
Jade59 commented on photo
CRSeaside 2015. God,reliance on self.... Comment
CRSeaside commented on photo