Depression Community
Wellbutrin Name Brand or Generic

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Wellbutrin Name Brand or Generic

There seems to be a general consensus that the generic bupropion and the Name Brand Wellbutrin are quite different.  Why doesn't everyone that comments on taking on or the other mention if they are taking the generic or name brand?  I think if they did we would get a much better idea of the differences.  Thank you
If you get your medications in the US, the FDA requires that the active ingredient be the same as the brand name. The only thing that can be different is the inactive ingredients, such as the binders. They should be virtually the same.
I take a different drug to Wellbutrin and was put on the generic.  It certainly made a difference.  I asked to go back on the original drug.  Doctors and pharmasists may say generics are the same, but my body told me different.

If the generic agrees with you there is no reason to change it.  Doctors just want to save mon ey and prescribe the cheapest drug.
It's not the providers that want to save money, it's the insurance companies.  Providers, like myself, get very frustrated that insurance companies essentially dictate our prescribing practices.  To get a brand name medication approved it has to go through a very time consuming process that essentially delays our patients from starting the much needed medication.
Risa615 commented on photo
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
clean_in_ks commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time