Depression Community
Wellbutrin Sexual side effects

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

Wellbutrin Sexual side effects

Hello, I'm a 30-year-old male. I was recently diagnosed with major depression and started taking generic Wellbutrin XL. Within a week of taking Wellbutrin 150 mg, I noticed changes in my libido, which continued to decrease. After two weeks I moved up to 300 mg, and my libido became almost nonexistent and I've been unable to have a complete erection. I've been on Wellbutrin for 4 weeks now and my sexual side effects have not subsided. I specifically chose to take Wellbutrin because of its reputation for rarely causing sexual side effects, because even while depressed I had a pretty healthy sex life. However, I recently read that studies have shown that, although less common than with SSRI antidepressants,  Wellbutrin can cause sexual side effects, such as decreased libido and impotence. I would like to know if anyone else on Wellbutrin had these symptoms? Will these symptoms subside? My depression is getting better, but these sexual problems are starting to take a toll on my self-esteem.

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.

I used to take Welbutrin many years ago at a pretty high dosage. It's probably the only antidepressant I have ever taken that did not cause me any sexual side effects, unfortunatly it also failed to help my depression so I switched to an SNRI.

I guess depending on the person that Welbutrin could cause Libido issues, but like you said they are rare.

There is a good chance that in time this side effect will pass or fade. I hope it fades for you simply because the SSRI and SNRI and even Tri-cyclic options are far worse in terms of sexual side effects.

You should read my post about a new type of SSRI that is now in Phase 3 trials. It is a very new and different type of antidepressant that has no reported sexual side effects.

Lets hope the FDA grants approval for it soon.
Many folks don't realize that depression can squash you libido and if you have anxiety, double squash. If you have a psychiatrist, there are a multitude of drugs out there that work as well if not better then SSRI/SNRI's.  Lamictal being one(mood stabilizer), it's been around for 20+ yrs and well studied.  I'm not sure why folks don't look at these drugs, the new ones dont work as well as many think.
SassyLassie commented on I had no idea there w...
Elleneggys commented on I had no idea there w...
KTowne Vein ablation is set up for... Comment
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time