Aa
A
A
Close
Wellbutrin/bupropion and decongestants
A few years ago I was on Wellbutrin for a while... Along with other meds, including Alavert, a decongestant/antihistamine.  I stopped taking the Wellbutrin against my doctors wishes, because I felt it was making me aggitated.
Now I am back on Wellbutrin. Actually Bupropion SR (generic)  I read the info sheet that came with it and noticed a new warning... do not take decongestants with this medication.  That warning was not on there before when I took it.
Does anyone know what the interaction is?
I am wondering now, if taking Alavert with the wellbutrin is what was making me so aggitated? Does anyone have any info on this, or personal experience?
thanks
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
962875 tn?1314213636
Wellbutrin and decongestants  are both stimulants (which would explain the agitation) and can both increase blood pressure, so the two meds together could bring on a hypertensive crisis (esp. in someone who already has high blood pressure), and this could even lead to a  stroke.

Ask your pharmacist about the safety of taking any particular decongestant along with your Wellbutrin. An antihistamine alone (not combined with a decongestant) shouldn't be a problem, but again, check with the pharmacist to be sure.

Best wishes...
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time
Start Tracking Now
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Blank
Arlington, VA
1551327 tn?1414146344