Depression Community
What is Depression?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

What is Depression?

Good morning or evening or day or night or afternoon guys and whassup. My name's Hamd Khatiz and I am a sixteen year old student, writer, drummer, friend, former friend, music lover and many more from Sydney. First off, I would like to tell you guys that I am still alive and kicking, I have not posted in the Depression Community since a long time ago, so it is good to be back.

I want to start with the basics. I lost a friend, Stefanie and drifted apart from others in August or perhaps even longer, but I won't get into that too much. Anyway, it killed me and I got couselling for it. I have had two sessions so far and in the second session, when what he suggested didn't work, he was talking to me about how to deal with the situation and live with it.

We came out with stuff like, practice breathing properly when you see her, work out, avoid her as much as humanely possible, even though sometimes that is not humanely possible as acknowledged. But in the middle he asked me:

"How do you feel when you see her and the look on her face?"

I said stuff like I get angry, I have got questions floating all over my head, I rush up, I am deflated i.e. I haven't got a tonne of energy. The whole way through he was taking notes and he read some of them out loud and instead of writing "deflated", he wrote "depressed".

I have always wondered, everyone says Depression is a medical condition and I believe that myself and I have advised people that it really is a medical condition. And then people say it is a mood, not a disease. You know, when you feel depressed, that is a mood you are in. Granted a bad one, but a mood in all, it's not like there is anything medically wrong with you.

Is Depression a mood or a disorder/disease? Sorry about the story tellng at the beginning, but it provides background and if you heard it or read it in real time, it will be much shorter than it looks.

Thanks, so I am OK, it is good to be back and what precisely is Depression, a mood or a disorder? Should it even have a capital letter in it?

Hamed Khatiz :)

P.S. Good Life by OneRepublic, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, mmmmmmmmmmmm....
Hello I am Jennifer. I work for an organization called Mental Health Mental Retardation Authority.  If someone tells you I am depressed they are explaining a mood.  If somone says I have Depression, they have what is typically known as a mental illness or a mood disorder.  There are many types of depression, some are long lasting and some come and go.  With some depression you could be fine all your life and becasue of the loss of a loved one (not just death) you can become depressed.  There is also what we call clinical depression.  This is a  type of depression that has to be monitored. The person will probably have to be put on a type of medication and then watched for the rest of their lifes.  There is also a type called situational depression.  This depression stems from the different or changing situations in life that suddenly arise.  Such as change in home life (moving), divorce (or break-up), environmental, new or loss of job, any significant change.  With this someone may have to be counseled even put on medication until symptoms subside.  It takes work and heart-ache but can be worked through.  Being depressed is a feeling haveing depression is a disorder.  Anyone who tells you being depressed is not an illness does not understand mental illness and shouldn't open their mouth.  It is an illness and can be harmful without care.
Bubulous I feel like a tiger in the ... Comment
mohel commented on Cure Kidney Stones
KTowne commented on MyMelBgirl's status