Depression Community
What's your experience with meds?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

What's your experience with meds?

I'm curious to hear about people's experience with antidepressants. About two years ago I was put on Citalopram, which is the only antidepressant I've ever had. It worked great! Cut off my depressive/anxious edge and allowed me to work on my problems better, be more serene and feel overall much better. However, a few months ago my doctor decided I'd been on meds for way too long and said I should wean off, which I did, although I wanted to go on because medication is the only thing from the many upon many things I've ever tried (talking, meditation, yoga, relaxation techniques, having a journal, etc.) that has ever helped. Anyway, here I am, months later, feeling depressed like I hadn't been in a long long time. I just began going to therapy, and I hope it works, but I don't seem able to function when I'm off the meds.

So I wanted to ask you how you feel about medication, when you feel better, if on or off meds (many people don't like the idea of being on antidepressant medication), and any other related thought you might want to share.
i think meds can be key to putting the ground beneath one's feet again.  they can be essential for some people and unnecessary for others.  they can mess up psychotherapy by creating the illusion of wellness--once someone feels "better" they may think there is no need to tackle the real issues behind their depression or even be able to access the pain they need to deal with properly.  i had taken zoloft for about a year when starting therapy and i couldn't believe that i had missed feeling "normal" for essentially my whole life.  it really helped me get things underway and feel good enough to take things on.  once my therapy was progressing however,  i wanted off and weaned off over several months.  there is no doubt though that it is the long term psychotherapy that has affected the real changes in my life that have allowed me to live virtually depression and anxiety free for nearly a decade without meds.  however, at the beginning of the process they were very helpful.  i just think it is critical that any drug therapy run congruent with regular psychotherapy or analysis.  
I have done well with my celexa and I have been on it for 7 years.I dont understand why your doc took you off it when you were doing so well.I would be in a mental istitution if it werent for my meds.I feel great ,I live a normal life and I have held my job for 8 years which is a record for ole bipolar me.Lol I take my 2 pills and get on with life.I dont why people get so hung up on taking the meds as long as they are making you have a good  quality of life.
So are  y ou going to go back on the med?
umya is sooo right about having to take therapy as wwell as meds to beat this.Lifestyle changes have to be made like exercising and eating healthy.
Love Venora
I was on A.D.s for 24yrs along with therapy and can't really say the a.d.s ever did much good.....then at age 44 I didn't have insurance and couldn't afford them any longer and just stopped taking them and began to feel better than I have ever felt in my life.  Either the A.D.s were dragging me down or I just improved with age, I don't know which.....they never seemed to have the magic touch you and Venora describe......I have nothing against meds for depression because they can save a life it's just that talk therapy and self help is what did me the most good.   I have Dystymia and have had it my entire life so I'm used to feeling this way to some extent and thankfully, the last 4yrs have brought depression only on occasion.  
KTowne commented on hansen20's status
1 hr ago
TinaR10 Grace is head down really l... Comment
Catlover2503 Not too bad today, got a jo... Comment