Depression Community
changing meds.

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

changing meds.

my dr changed me from abilify and serquel to trazone and saphris. i was ok for about 3 days then started to feel sick, nausa chills muscle aches ect ect. i don't think it was a virus. but my question----can you have withdraws going of one type of meds and going on another that is simalar. i think going off serquel cold turkey and abilify is what did me in or maybe side effects from the new meds. i took the old meds yesterday and not the new ones and already feel better.

i was takes off the abilify and serquel because it was causing my blood sugars to go up and my cholestrol and blood pressure. plus i gained 20 pounds. but i was happy felt good now i'm back to feeling depressed and sick.

has anyone had this problem

thank you
If someone goes off medication so rapidly then withdrawal symptoms will definitely occur. However, even when I was titrated off Seroquel to Risperdal at the exact rate my psychiatrist stated I had flu like withdrawal symptoms that passed after a while but I did feel sick and have to rest up. I do not know the side effect profile for Saphris because the antipsychotic agent I take is in Phase II FDA study so the last known antipsychotic I took was Abilify but you could go to the medication website and find out more and ask your psychiatrist as well but you cannot tell more until the withdrawal symptoms pass.
Avatar n tn
HOW LONG DO WITHDRAWS LAST

HAVE YOU ANY INFO ON SAPHRIR IN THAT IT'S BETTER THEN SEROQUEL.

THANK YOU COLEEN
Withdrawal lasted about a week for me. If someone discontinues one medication right away it can last longer. All the atypical antipsychotics are about equal in response rate (except for Clozaril which has a higher efficacy but is used as a last option because of the potential of blood dyscreias) but Abilify, Fanapt and Saphris are the least likely to cause weight gain. As for the exact statistics as to weight gain for any of these medications that can be found on the medication website which could then be discussed with your psychiatrist. As for how a person responds to a specific medication that varies from person to person.
KTowne commented on renae176's status
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time