Depression Community
cymbalta vs. celexa

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

cymbalta vs. celexa

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year! I hope 2010 proves to be happier for us all.

My question is on psych meds. I've had dysthymia since college (about 18 years). I went through the entire
gamut of meds at the time: Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor, amitryptiline, Paxil, trazadone, Serzone...all but MAOIs.
They either had no effect or the averse effects outweighed the positive (zoloft kept me afloat by making me numb to all feelings altogether).

Finally, in 2003, I was in a study for treatment resistant depression and Lexapro quite literally saved my life. I was later switched to Celexa for financial reasons. I had no problems transitioning and have taken it for the past six years.

Now the issue: I suffer from chronic pain as well, and apparently my pain mgmt doc believes Cymbalta (approved for fibromyalgia) may keep my depression in check while also helping me deal with pain & its own related depression. Right now I still take celexa (40 mgs) and one Cymbalta (30 mgs) a day. My doc's plan is to titrate up on Cymbalta and eventually come down off celexa.

Sorry for the long post but my ultimate question is: has anyone else made this switch and with what positive/negative effects? Thanks so much in advance.
BID
Hello there,

Cymbalta is a SNRI which mean it will affect your serotonin level but also your norepinephrine level which can be translated into adrenaline which results into a energy boost and less pain. I am on Cymbalta and Lyrica for chronic nerves pain due to compression of the suboccipital triangle causing pressure on the C2 originating nerves resulting in occipital neuralgia and myofacial pain. Well that's my own diagnosis, there not a single doctor who have been able to diagnose it and they simply said i had a cervicalgia.

Anyway, i strongly recommend you switch to Cymbalta since it will gives you energy and it will alleviate your pain. The only side effect i had from Cymbalta was some muscle jerkings and nausea for the first 1 week. What your doctor will probably do is cut down the Celexa completely and give you 60mg Cymbalta after your first week on Cymbalta. 60mg will be your regular dose, 30mg is the starting dose.

Best regards,
M4
This is a real pity that you hijacked this persons posting to attack another. It really is.  If you object to something you can report it or personal message someone you have an issue with. We should be here/in this thread trying to help Broadindaylight, this can be very disturbing for someone who has taken the courage to post here, that they start and almighty row, what a pity. It happened to me once and i didnt return for 6 months !

To Broadindaylight
I take cymbalta 60 mg. I find it works well for depression, though i have never had any problems with pain.  I had to increase fiber in my diet a lot, dry mouth and during the first four weeks i had some very down days.  But now i am doing good on it.

That is my experience, it is I find similar to Effexor, i took that before, it is in the same class.  Good luck with your treatment.
KTowne commented on Belle313's status
Mood Tracker: September 3, 2015
7 hrs ago by char1234vass
Mood Tracker: September 3, 2015
7 hrs ago by char1234vass
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time