Depression Community
depressed...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

depressed...

I need help. I know I am depressed, but my mom will not take me to get help. She is in total denial. I have all of the symptoms, every single one of them. The thing is, is that I'm 17. And most depression med's are not approved for people under 18. What can I possibly do? She refuses to take me to the doctors or to a counselor. Can I talk to my doctor about med's and other things without her approval? I've been living with depression for about a year now, and i've lost so much weight, too much but she thinks its great looking annorexic. Seriously. I can never get a good nights sleep and i can never concentrate. Any little thing can make me blow up with rage or break down in tears. I have been extremely suicidal but i'm never going to kill myself. I just don't really have anyone to talk to and I hate feeling like this, I hate crying every day. Please help.
Thank You.
From what I know, you sure can see your doctor, and would have doctor/patient confidentiality - unless there is abuse, that's a while diff. story. If at that point she refuses to get you meds - then child services would get inolved. You sound like you are pretty self aware, so i would definitely go ahead and see your doc. There are a bunch of meds that you can safely take that aren't those ones advertised. I was on AD's most of my teens. If she refuses to let you go to the doctor, call child protection services, refusing to get a child medical treatment is abuse. . I would tell your doctor exactly what's going on, YOU come first. Hang in there. Keep in touch okay?
im seventeen too, i know how you feel. ive been medicated for a year.
ADD ME ***@****  i cant promise ill help but i can try
im in canada- and i would have no problem getting meds on my own. if your over 16 your considered on your own in the medical care system. they can get expensive though- for me its about $70 a month. but its something you need by the sounds of it. i would start by making an appointment with your family doctor- taking a cab or bus there and doing it all by yourself. tell her whats going on- she'll refer you to the hospital and they have councillors there who will evaluate you and tell you if the medication is right for you ir if you just need councilling. from there you'll see. DONT WORRY- you can do this, i promise!! keep me updated k?
Thanks so much. Believe it or not, she made a doctors appointment for me today (thursday) but she never told me about it, i just seen it on a piece of paper. My parents are divorced so if she wouldn't have taken me my dad said he would. I didn't realize CPS could get involved? But thanks for letting me know now. I'm going to talk to my doctor about everything today. And i also didn't know that there were med's available for kids. I've been doing alot of research online (when i'm at school) about depression and stuff. But thank you both so much. I really appreciate it.
Hi  Just a note to say that I read your post and am so glad that you are going to get help.  You are so intelligent to realize that you need to seek medical help and that the way you feel is not right.  Depression is so very common but  often people do not realize how bad it is for the person suffering.  There can be many causes and I hope and pray that you have been able to go to someone who will be kind and understanding and who is good at treating your depression.  If you have been feeling this way for a while, I can relate to how hard it is to cope with it.  There is help and remember you are helping others who feel like you there by posting here . Hang in there!!  You are taking all  the right steps! There is help!    Best of Luck.   Keep us posted.
Cami
I hope everything is turning out okay, keep us posted, I know it's a rough time, but there is hope :)  I'm am sure that there are support groups for teens with depression too, you might want to look into that :)

To Jade - if you are finding the meds too expensive, I know most provinces will cover psych meds. I'm in BC and we have Plan G - I don't pay a dime :)
The Dark Side of 'Healthy'...
20 mins ago by gymdandee
nursegirl6572 "Patience is the calm accep... Comment
charlesdee is ... Comment