Depression Community
depression & judiasm

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

depression & judiasm

Does anyone think there can be a cooralation between being jewish and depression. I am Jewish and I have lots of jewish friends. There are lots of similarities with Jewish people. Can depression be one of them?
m
I'm not too sure about rates of depression among Jewish people. But here is an interesting study about anxiety among different denominations of Judaism.

http://www.jpsych.com/jpsych_research_01.html
That is very interesting. Thanks for the link.
I don't really know if there is a higher rate of depression for Jewish people, but one thing i do know is that they ARE the most gifted and talented people on the planet!  I absolutely Love Jewish people, because of their humor...there are so many great Jewish comedians. The list is long when it comes to great ones thru out the years.  When i am down, i can't tell you what a good Marx Brothers movie can do, or any episode of the Three Stooges!  I also Love Woody Allen, he is brilliant, and he often comes across as this self depricating, but humorous soul.  He has a new movie out with another very funny Jewish comedian, Larry David (of Seinfeld, another Jewish comedian) that i can't wait to see.  I recently saw an interview with Richard Lewis (a Jewish stand-up comedian) and his act pretty much covers his experiences with depression, etc. He has turned it, and his dark experiences, into something humorous. His biography is called "The Other Great Depression" although i haven't read it yet, i want to. Maybe you could check it out and get some insight as well.  I have noticed that so many gifted and talented Jewish people seem to have alot in common, when it comes to pulling from both sides of life's experiences. They're just really good at doing it.  I'm sure that you are no exception!  God Loves you and has truly blessed you :o)

Peg

I would say absolutly not. Depression and anxiety dissorder is an equal oppertunity destroyer. It crosses all racial boundries.

The only race of people I can think of in which I almost never hear of Major Depression being a problem is people of Indian race. (Indian as in south asian)

I have no idea why that is, but to this day I have never met a person of Indian race that has or is suffering Major Depression. Maybe they do and you just never hear about it.

I am Finnish and I sure wish my race did not suffer depression.
Though I have never heard of any correlation between being Jewish and depression, the circumstances of being a Jew can be hard in today's society. By this I mean the persecutions that Jews have had and continue to endure are ones that are carried by all members of the community. Thus, any depression might simply be situational and an individual response. It certainly is not the norm of the community.
why_are_all_nicknames_taken feels like shit Comment
24 mins ago
How Bad Science and Big Business Cr...
7 hrs ago by gymdandee
KTowne commented on Des92's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time