depression and addiction go hand in hand?
I need your help.  Depression and addiction go hand in hand so I am told.  My question is : Which one do you treat first?
First you have to start the detox of addiction before your head is clear enough to be 100 percent receptive to help for deppression. Then you will be able to treat both at the same time. Usually there is an underlying cause for the depression ie trauma of some kind that leads to deppression then addiction to self medicate.
addiction is there coz that is the only thing you can control . therapy could help in this case..
Thats like the question of what came first...the chicken or the egg? Not every addict is depressed (damn Im jealous of those people!) There are reasons 'they' say depression and addiction go hand and hand.  Usually its because the drug of choice like alcohol or opiates are depressants. When you take away an addicts drug, the body and mind are overwhelmed with change that most people recovering are feeling physically depressed and are grieving mentally.  Whether they are aware of it or not.  The brain is trying to figure out how to re-establish connections that were either lost or blocked during the addiction.  Thats why addicts/alcoholics crave their drug.  Its very uncomfortable mentally and physically for everyone who has used an extended period of time.  There seems to be a prevelance of addiction among depressives and bipolars.  Like adenzangel said, they use their addictions to self medicate.  I was no exception.  My first calculated drunk was at age 7.  That happened to be the same time of my first conscious suicidal ideation which was unrelenting for most of my life.  Being in recovery from both addiction and major depressive disorder I haven't figured out what came first...yet!  It's not important to me anymore.  I have to fight both diseases everyday.  I believe that both issues have to be treated aggressively together.  My depression was overlooked in the beginning of my addiction treatment and I spent a very long time trying to get out of a severe depression.  I only hope that other people in my position are treated differently.  I have no idea if I answer your question but I am curious as to why you have asked.
WELL THE DRUGS PROBABLY CAUSED THE DEPRESSION SO DEFFANTELY STOP DRUGS BUT YOU WILL NEED THE ANTDEPRESSANTS AT THE SAME TIME