Depression Community
depression from work out injuries

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

depression from work out injuries

Hey I am a 22 year old male. I have been a runner since I can remember but started lifting weights a couple years ago. Exercise became an outlet for me in college and has really helped with my mental health/school/social life. Early January I hurt my shoulder real badly doing overhead db tricep extensions too heavy/with elbows outward. I saw an orthopedist and started physical therapy. It has seemed to help. However, not being able to workout was really affecting my mental health, so I started overdoing lower body/running everyday and ended up straining my left quad on the leg press a little over a month ago. The pain seems to be off and on but if I walk around too much it hurts afterwards and takes awhile to feel "okay" again. Well after injury number two, I started doing some light upper body again since my shoulder was getting a little better. I was doing abs hard everyday because someone said you can do abs everyday and I felt the need to work something to feel better mentally. About two weeks ago, strained my left ab/oblique doing weighted crunches. So now I have three injuries and I am not working out/running or anything at all. None of the injuries had any swelling or bruising, but they still have not healed. I tried ice/heat etc.. I am still in physical therapy for my shoulder but the other injuries have kinda halted that process as well. I fee like an 80 year old everything hurts... With all this, graduation, and failed relationship attempts, my mental health is nonexistent- zero motivation/very depressed/anxious/questioning my career/professional school decision/capabilities- bad. I almost feel the need to take some time off and regroup my life...I haven't seen a doctor about my leg or abdomen because I just went for my shoulder and it is embarrassing/expensive. I am worried that I will never feel "okay" again. I really want/need to get back into the gym someday (but obviously go much lighter and with a better routine). I am seeing a therapist and considering SSRI's (again -_- )
I think that perhaps taking an SSRI would be a good idea for you.  The good thing about it is that you still have a working brain and as long as it is working you can find peace and be happy.  You are going to have to come up with some more outlets for now to replave the weight lifting but tyr to take advantage of what you do have.  Work out your mind for a while and give your body some rest.  If you put as much into your brain as you have your body you will become that muchh stronger.

Good luck,

Larry
Raspberry_belle uploaded new photos
1 hr ago
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
RubyWitch Life is short......ride you... Comment
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time