Depression Community
lexapro withdrawal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

lexapro withdrawal

I took 10 mg. of lexapro for 1-1/2 years.  Tapered off the drug last month and now it has been 3 weeks since I've taken the pill.  Headaches & dizziness are my biggest complaint.  How long will it last and is there something I should take to ease these symptoms?  
I think it is great that you have been able to discontinue this med.  You might want to consider a very low dose of a benzodiazepine, like valium for a couple weeks or when needed for the withdrawal symptoms. I would start with the lowest dose possible at first to see how your body reacts.

I don't know how long these symptoms last but they should go away over time, gradually.

Tony
I was on Lexapro for 3 year (15mg) I tapered off slowly and I've been off completely for 3 months and I'm sorry to say that I'm still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. I've been on 1mg of Klonopin (generic) for 3 months at bedtime to help with the withdrawal. The Klonopin helps, but it's still very tough at times. Very few psychiatrist will admit or believe that withdrawal can last more than 2-4 weeks, but there's a ton of patient's including myself that know otherwise. Exercise helps a lot, but some days are pure hell. I'm still experiencing the very unique "Lexapro headaches", fatigue, anxiety, burning eyes and burning sensation in both eyes 3-5 days per week. It almost feels like the flu at times. I'm also experiencing crying spells 1-2 times per week...I've never felt depressed until I got off of Lexapro. I was recently told online by a Doctor of  psychiatry, Stuart Shipko that withdrawals can last anywhere from 2 months to a YEAR! He also says that in addition to typical withdrawal symptoms many experience "prominent anxiety and depression that is often mistaken for relapse or emergence of underlying pathology" which leads many doctors to re-prescribe the same or other drugs as a fix. I don't mean to scare you, but no one REALLY knows how long the headaches and other withdrawal symptoms will last. I wish you well.
I have been on lexapro for .... about a year and a half now, maybe two years. Once I started taking it i immediately realized that I hadn't felt that good since high school, i felt like my old self again from 12 years ago.  So I thought it was a God-send drug.  Well, my insurance doesn't cover it so every once in a great while there will be a month go by where I can't afford it and will have no choice but to go without temporarily.  And let me tell ya, that is some scary stuff!  Those electrical shocks in my brain, the spaciness, inability to focus or concentrate, constant lull of a headache no matter what I do, at times I get just horrid tension headaches that make it impossible for me to do anything, even talk. Zero desire to eat or go anywhere with friends, consant sleepiness and lethargy.  Sometimes I wish I'd never gone on the drug in the first place because I didn't even experience ANY of that before going on the drug.  
Although I'm no physician, I do know FROM EXPERIENCE the symptoms you are encountering . . . here is what worked best for me:  OTC meclazine (Dramamine, or other) for the acute dizziness / buzzy symptoms, and 5-HTP / St. John's Wort / B-Complex supplements for longer-term management.  I PROMISE YOU, although it will take time, YOU WILL GET BETTER.  I would say my total recovery time was a couple of months and maybe just a bit longer for some really mild / general issues.  Overall, I no longer feel dizzy, light-headed, no buzzy / popping sensations, I'm sleeping better and I feel fairly well.  PASS THE WORD THAT IT WILL GET BETTER!!!
Bubulous, and Pat1956100 commented on Pat1956100's status
Bubulous Working on Fighting Depress... Comment
JustHelp123 commented on JustHelp123's status