Depression Community
lexapro
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

lexapro

can anyone explain the difference between the brand name Lexapro and the generic brand?  i was reading your posts.  my boyfriend was on the brand name lexapro and switched to the chemical brand in June.  since then he has been spriraling downhill, out of control  is there that much of a difference in brand name and off brand?
Related Discussions
This is kind of a recient thing. Lexapro indeed is now avalible in a generic form, Escitalopram, or sometimes called Cipralex.

I used to take Lexapro for about a year, but never tried the generic counter part as they were not avalible at that time.

Your question: "Is there that much of a difference in brand name and generic brand?"
Well, there isn't supposed to be. In fact by FDA law all Generic medications must have the exact amount and kind of active ingreduant. BUT, there is some evedence that in some (not all) cases that Generic equivilent medication can (sometimes) be less effective.

My Psychiatrist told me that with Generics he has noticed approximatly a 20% less effective result verses name brand SSRI medications.

Now, is this fact. NO. But I would also have to ask you how long your boyfriend has been taking Lexapro.

This factor is key, because if he has been taking it for a very long time there is a 20% chance that the active ingrediant in Lexapro which is "Escitalopram," has lost it's effectiveness for him.

I pooped out on Lexapro in 2 years. That's why some people like us make med changes. Because we "poop out" after long periods on the same AD medication.

I'm not saying that's your boyfriends problem, just saying it is a real possability.

Your on the right track as to finding a solution to his problem. Keep doing research and asking questions. You can solve this medication riddle if you try.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Recent Activity
2020005_tn?1417986816
Blank
KTowne commented on mhv's status
10 hrs ago
2146732_tn?1418852707
Blank
D_Snead35 December 17,2014, it has be... Comment
11 hrs ago