Depression Community
life after 51-50

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

life after 51-50

To make a long story short, I have been seeing a psychiatrist at a county run facility. I went in the other day for my regular med check and much to my surprise he said that since I was not responding to the meds that I needed to go to the hospital. I agreed to go voluntarily and told him that I would call my boyfriend to take me. He asked me to step outside for a minute and when he returned he informed me that someone (turned out to be an ambulance)  was on the way to take me to the hospital. I told him that my boyfriend was on his way to take me himself. He told me not to leave and that he already signed a 51-50 order. In prior weeks I had voiced suicidal ideations, but this visit I specifically told him that I was not feeling suicidal in any way, nor had I thought about suicicide in over a week. He refused to listen and stated the reason on the 51-50 hold that I was suicidal with a plan to hang myself in the garage. That had been over two weeks ago that I told him about that and at that time he kind of shrugged it off and asked me if I would contract for safety and I agreed to do so. I was blindsided by the 51-50 order because what we had led me to believe was that if I went to the hospital I could get a major med adjustment under close supervision and could come home in a matter of days feeling great having obtained the results that I failed to achieve over the last two months under his care. That sounded great to me. I am still reeling and confused about being lied to and being lied about. I cannot comprehend what he did to me. What is my recourse? Do I have any?  And being tied in  to the county , what can I expect in the days and weeks to come? I have always heard that once you are 51-50 that the county owns your soul and from there on out your treatment is decided by them and you no longer have any say in your treatment and if you don't do exactly as your told, then you are considered non-compliant and subject to 51-50 hold at their request, Please help, I feel so betrayed, that was totally uncalled for and unnecesarry. My boyfriend showed up before the ambulance and told the doctor repeatedly that I was absolutely not suicidal, just depressed. Do I have any rights?
I'm no legal expert but it sure seems that your doctor has been negligent and thinks he can fix it now! Why else would he be so insistant concerning the ambulance???

Like I said, I'm no legal expert on such things, but I bet the answers to the question you ask would vary from state to state, or even county to county.Perhaps such in depth research is recommended....
The doctor may have thought the change in behavior (lack of suicidal ideation, etc) may have indicated increased risk.  I don't know.  I can see a little from each perspective.  From a patients we're saying how we're feeling.  We're being honest.  From a medical perspective they may believe we are being manipulative and are actively suicidal (have plans, etc).
I have this rather pessimistic view of mhs and that is they help when we don't need it and don't when we do.  It's a crazy world and a crazy system.

Yes, you do have rights.  When you were admitted you should have been told or given information about what rights you do have.

I'm not sure about your laws but ours allow us to be held for assessment and treatment.  This is for an initial five days after which it is reviewed and may be extended.

It can feel like the hospital, etc has your soul as being committed can leave you feeling hurt, betrayed, angry, violated and so much more.
It took me ages (years) to move on after being sectioned.

Are you in hospital?  At home?  Usually you will be discharged from hospital back home into the community and then later discharge off the community treatment order.
You should be able to access info off the net.

Treatment may in large depend on the doctor.  If you get a good one then they will work with you.  If not you may be subjected to various treatments of their choosing.  Hopefully that won't happen.

I was very anti-meds and wouldn't accept medication.  They labeled me as non-compliant with medical regime.  I think if you communicate well then that will help your cause.  I wasn't able too and I was physically and chemically restrained.

Be honest.  Get support.  If you have serious concerns about your treatment ask for a second opinion (or independent opinion) and ask to speak to a lawyer.

Research the sectioning stuff on the internet.  They should cover what rights you do and don't have.

Admission can be a positive experience.  I sincerely hope that this is the case for you.

You may like to have a discussion with the admitting psychiatrist.  If he is unable to answer your questions and concerns adequately get a new doctor.

Take care.
IBKleen commented on Rosy?
1 hr ago
jugglin commented on Rosy?
motye51 commented on Rosy?