prozac and heartburn
I have been on and off prozac for 4 years and i now am experiencing heartburn. I take 20mg at night because it makes me dizzy but i dont get the heartburn until the afternoon the next day. I was wondering is it safe to take ranitidine 150mg effervescent? I took it all the time when needed before being back on prozac and it works i was wondering does it cause any side affect?
Are you prescribed Zantac?  Or, are you talking about the OTC preparation?  Zantac is a very safe medication, it probably wouldn't be an issue for you to try it...run it by your doc first.

These meds can cause all kinds of GI Upset, so it could very well be the Prozac.  Have you ever been diagnosed with GERD?   Have you ever just tried taking a few Tums?  That may work also.  Tums can be very effective, and they are completely safe.

Make sure you are taking the Prozac as prescribed.  I'm not sure why you've been "on and off" the Prozac, but that kind of pattern can lead to difficulties in tolerating the med...it can increase side effects, and decrease the efficacy.  So, my advice is to just stick with it...take it regularly, as prescribed.

Good luck to you!
I went off because i thought i could handle not being on it. I was prescribed after my dad passed and felt "better" after 6 months but low and behold 4 years later i am back on. It isn't zantac but it is the same ingredient you drop it in a half cup water and it foams up and you quickly drink it. It is OTC. If zantac is safe this should be too. Thanks so much. Also i read  that taking any antacid like tums and rolaids can have a reaction with the prozac. Is this true i was too scared to try Tums.
Rantidine IS Zantac, that's the generic name.  If you were taking it before, it would be fine to take.  I've never heard of a contraindication between Tums and Prozac, but again, if the Zantac works, then stick with that.

Let your doc know about the heartburn too.  Sometimes it can indicate something like an ulcer.