Depression Community
screaming in my head, why???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

screaming in my head, why???

Does anybody ever hear screaming in there head,  like somebody is actually inside your head screaming? It happens to me a lot, and often times I mistake it for a real person at first. Then it just doesnt go away. Why does this happen?? I really want it to stop!
Never had that but feel like screeming a lot. I want it to stop too. Maybe we should both actually scream! People r sleeping now but when I'm alone I think I'll try it.
Its different than vocally screaming, its not the want to scream, I just hear it in my head. It comes a long with a sad feeling, I dont know why but it is driving me nuts!! It makes me feel like crying, and hurting myself..
Could it be medication side effect? I never heard of that before. Sounds maddening.  Are you sad about being angry or angry about being sad? Can you draw what it feels like?
Come to think of it, i have thoughts, songs, regrets, and a to do list running in my head all the time . It's almost like I can hear them simultaniously & it drives me nuts. Itmakes me want to sleep. Sleeping makes things worse because I get more behind & off schedule but I do it anyway.  As long as you know they are not real that's good. Have you told a doctor?
im not sure why it happens...but i havent told my doctor...
I don't think you r crazy because you know the screaming isn't real. You should tell your doctor. Until then, try listening to music to get your mind off it. Maybe it will go away like hickups- when you get your mind off it.
*hugs* honey I don't think you are crazy but if you hear something so strong going on in your head that makes you feel this bad, then perhaps you need to talk to someone. Have you been going to a therapist?

xoxoxoxo Anna
Thank you! Hugs
I havent been seeing my therapist for awhil, but i see a p-doc every thursday and i have tried music it works a little but not enough..i want to tear all my hair out thats how much it drives me crazy.
I got to my pdoc at 3:30 todat but i dont know if ill be able to tell him. Its hard for me too tell someone in person whats going on, and im always afraid he is going to send me away again
I'm sorry, this sounds terrible. Voices of sorts can come along with mental health issues. When my eating disorders began I developed a voice in my head, like a complete stranger was living in my head. It was what made me starve myself, it had control. Sometimes I still get it but not day and night like before. It's important to tell you doctor before it progresses. Dont let it take control! Take care friend, my heart goes out to you on this one. (HUGS)
Thank you!!! Hugs!
Im kind of scared to tell my doc though, maybe ill come around to it one of these days. Im sorry you have to deal with it to..its so frusterating
I know what you are going through. I am dealing with this exact problem right now. I have never taken medication for it before, and I have tried talk to therapists and I have yet to find something that helps. I actually broke down today into tears because I couldn't make it stop. I'm not sure what to do anymore.
You both need to tell your doctors about it.  There's no reason to be afraid to talk to your doctors about it.  That's what they are there for--to help you.  You may need to go to a psychiatrist.  There is most likely a medication that will help you.  You both are suffering with it so much.  You really should get treatment for it.  Give yourselves a better life.  Good luck.  
I'm dealing with depression (or better yet, crazy mood swings from insanely excited to way down in the dumps) and I don't hear screams in my mind. However, I can always hear this "dark voice" in my head, always saying horrible, but somewhat true things whenever I, for example, make decisions or say something that I'm unsure about. I always say things to people and tell myself that I say these things because I deeply care about them and that I want them to be happy. This is true, but the dark voice in my head always seems to behold deeper meanings to my actions. I say things not only to hlp others, but also because I want to form a good reputation for myself, to do selfish things that sometimes I don't fully comprehend. And although I want to be a kind person and to always please others there is always a selfish reason behind it, too. And I just want to scream so much because I want to let all my emotions out of me. I want to scream and wail and do crazy things... I want to scream until my voice wades away, until I cannot scream anymore. I just want to ask; do you think that the screaming in your head is the longing for you to be able to scream yourself, to be able to release your emotions so that everyone can hear you, help you? I don't know what you're truly dealing with and what I've said may not relate to you at all, but please consider this. Perhaps this repeating sound has a much deeper meaning; perhaps it's not just the doing of chemicals and medicines, et cetera. It may just be silly; after all, I'm just a foolish child, you know, but perhaps these screams and cries for help that are echoing in your mind... perhaps they are an omen? I hope what I've said bides you well and please, take care. I wish you the greatest happiness. ^_^
The screaming in your head is NOT an "omen" dear. Please remember that you are on an online site, and you must be very careful NOT to accept idle comments with concern to the problems that you are having, right? Only a professional can help you deal with something as serious as screaming in your head, regardless of how often it happens, you need, very much, to not be afraid to talk to your doctors. How can they help you honey, if you hold anything as important as this, from then?  
I know exactly what you mean.  It happens under long-term stress.  It's like your brain itself is screaming in your head.  Sometimes you'd like to "let it out" and actually scream, but you know it wouldn't help anyway, so you don't.  It often makes you feeling like weeping too.  Like weeping and hurting yourself.  Like somehow the pain from hurting yourself will let the scream out.

I have no answer... but I know exactly what you're describing.
(sarah): i do have a psychiatrist, its just a matter of being able to tell him things comfortably. I have told him about this. Im always afraid there going t send me off again.
(kuriketto): thank you. im not sure why it happens, maybe it is because i want ro scream on the putside. . Im always full of emotion when that happens. I sure hope its not an omen. I wish you all the best too!
(pnerd): it does make me feel like screaming for real, but i cant.
(nighthawk) i did tell him, i got a med change remember?but it still happens
hi, rose.

It's not so bad now, but i hear it too.  I'm not crazy or "psychotic",  or schizophrenic...  I've been hurt a lot.  I have PTSD and have had this major depressive disorder since childhood.  It started about 3 years ago and lasted for almost 2 years.  I went through a lot of major changes - in my surroundings mostly - and it stopped for a while.  It started again today.  It feels like sadness, disappointment, the pain of betrayal.  It sounds like people who are in Hell.  I told a therapist about it once and he told me to write to them, ask them why they're screaming.  For me, it's about how unfair life can be, how cruel, thoughtless and selfish people can be (and often are), how neglected, frustrated, and lonely I feel...

I understand.  I don't think you're psychotic or crazy.  You're in a lot of pain and you are probably a very kind and sensitive person and you often wonder why people are so mean to each other sometimes. Somebody close to you hurt you and it's hard to accept or understand why they did it.

Life is painful; sometimes almost too painful to bear.  I don't know what advice to give you about the screaming you hear except to just stay in touch with those voices and listen to what they're trying to tell you, provide some comfort for them if you can and, if possible, do some things for yourself that you enjoy.  Tell yourself positive and loving things.  Laugh if you can.

Hope I helped you a little.
This is the  best post I've read.  I have a teenage daughter and is going through the same issues.  The voices got out of control and she began hurting herself.  She was brave enought to finally tell us and she is now receiving help. She is now on medication but is still hearing voices, we have tried different medications but the voices are still there.  I'm just glad that she is now talking to us and that we are there to support her.  Her therapists are formidable and I am glad we are working as a team to help her.  She was hospitalized for a while and although she hated it at first, at the end she realized that she needed help.  My advise is to always talk to someone, there is always someone who will care.
Today I just started having the same thing, but to me its like when I'm in a dream when I'm scared screaming. I think I'm going to tell my friend but I'm not sure yet because she's supposed to be spending the night today. !! I WISH IT WOULD JUST STOP!!
hi sweetie.  you talk to your doctor.  they have treatments I mean pills for everything.  tammy was feeling someone laying on her and hurting her.  she told me about it.  and she was showing me where it grabbed her arm and there was a bruise.  but the doctor gave her meds and she has not felt that again.  please talk to your doctor.  is she or he understanding?  I need you to be ok you or my friend so please take care.  mandy876
I am not a subject expert but hearing voices is one thing where medication  may help . if one medication doesnt another will .  its an awful feeling and hence tell your dr .
You said, "how cruel, thoughtless and selfish people can be (and often are), how neglected, frustrated, and lonely I feel..."  The choice of who you have around you is up to you.  I have not a lot of people around me, but they are all totally supportive and giving.  Set your boundaries and get rid of your relationships with the cruel, thoughtless and selfish people.  If you are supportive and giving, you will find people like you. And they are not, don't continue with them.
that was best advice,dont be around the cruel people. sadly and in  my case,as well as many the cruel people are family and you were a child...had nowhere to go. i hear the scream,my own voice,although like others said here not 'hearing' it actually..for a fears now..it only gets worse its like an urgency that must be answered..feels as a boxed in one crying from neglect...screaming from neglect...and i cannot reach 'her' to help and i know its me.,its excruciating to use third person terms such as she and her..for myself!...its pent up rage and unforgiveness for wrongs done that no one ever answered for and still dont care,so youre lt with them alone......seperated from myself.. that part i could never help for answer for...from the cruelty.youre not to blame so you dont answer...its horrible.if you pay close attention to the feeling you will see its a lack of justice...and pent up frustrations/anger. best thing is to seperate from those people who hurt 'her' our child self was cut off..the 'happy times' thats why you get nostalgic (she remembers music in nostalgic sense) me too!!! i listen to 80's music and just cry! it gets worse... it means we miss carefree child inside...who happens to be hurt. i take it far and think of tv shows and everything to do with that time in my life..makes it worse:( cant go back or forward..just scream.. i 39..and look up 80's stuff on youtube...i never thought the child self could schism and seperate itself...doesnt want to live with 'me' life is now boring and not child friendly... bible says same(must enter heaven as child or not enter) then thrown back to earth.. the child remains eternal...but with that broken promise.  bible also says that child was murdered...(but still lives)   screaming in your head will make you think of religion,God,angels,demons,hell,aliens....etc...its HARD..but its for a reason...i think we have to give voice and life to the screaming self... NOT IGNORE and neglect to death. like everyone else did...i will pray..but even prayers were ignored...but at certain times window is open,may be now..
So sorry to hear about your past.  Yes, you are right, that as a child, you have no way to get away from the cruel people.  I feel for you. I have friends who totally disassociated from their families.  And some of them even changed both their first and last names.  I hope that you have sought medical and counseling help.  Wish you better times with those open windows.  Sara
I have that same issue. It has recently started. My doctor has been trying new medications on me to treat my bipolar disorder and my ADD. This didn't start up until I was taken off Adderall (adderrall). When I first heard the screaming, I thought it was my toddler. But realized it was inside my head. I don't know how to make it stop. It's deafening. I can't make out any words. It's just very loud, high pitched, degrading screaming noises....I plan to voice this concern to my doctor, but am scared to. I fear this will make me sound crazy. Have you found any cure for your issue?
i have not hard from you in a while.  i dont hear scraming but i relly want to scream and not stop. my niece iisdriving me crazy.  she tells me things idid nitsay.  of course she is always right.  we were in the car and i nearly jumped out.  she had the nerve to ask me to go somewhere else with her.  i dont think so.  i covered my face and screamed but from the inside.  i thought the top of my head was going to come off.  she took my cold drink and threw it in the yard.  she called me a bad name and i called her one back.  i appiligized i dont talk ike that ever.  she did appoligized to me too.  but i know she did not mean  it.  please tell your doctor.  i think it is important i am going tomtell my docttor ifhe will listen to me. he always listens to her. it is like i dont exist.  i asked the nurse am i here she just smiled.  i hav given up.  to tired to go on.  i just dont care anymore.  mandy876
mommy52 commented on here r my medhelp fri...
Spectrals added the Sleep Tracker
realjimmy commented on realjimmy's status